Raising Muscovies for meat to sell.

heymikey

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
I'm posting this here instead of the Duck section since so many raise Muscovies for pets. I currently raise chickens and I have free ranged some Muscovy's this year to try them out.

Here is my problem.. Having the mixed flock this year was tough. The Muscovies always made a mess of the waterers, they will eat until they can't walk unlike the chickens, so leaving free choice doesn't seem to be an option. The scat is horrible compared to the chickens.

Has anyone used a Salatin or Plamondon type pens or part confinement/free range techniques for meat scovies?

Electric Poultry fencing and clipping wings?

Have you come up with your own system?

I really like the meat and I have interest from folks but I'm not convinced I want to raise them for meat sales.

Quote:
I use electric poultry netting with a livestock guardian dog. My muscovy ducks have food in front of them 24/7, and yes they do defecate a lot.

I also allow my muscovy hens to rear their young. It seems more humane to me, and more energy efficient. On the downside, I lose a cycle and thus cost per duckling rises.

I will not raise my ducks in a tractor because I do not practice high density farming techniques.

I do not pinion or clip wings. The ducklings are marketed before that becomes a problem.

I'm interested in this too. I have raised ducks, mainly Pekin's for meat but never muscovies.

I'm looking to get some from JM Hatchery and try theirs out as it looks like they cater to a meat based market.

Steve..... I always see those pictures... I know you have some great knowledge on this breed would love to hear more on how to raise them efficiently!

Looking to sell about 400 a year to start but would like to maintain some breeding stock if I can. Is it difficult with them flying.

Pekin vs Muscovy?

My biggest concern would be taste? I'm not a fan of Pekin duck meat would Muscovy be much different?

Quote:
Sixteen week old JM Hatchery muscovy drake slaughtered yesterday and just pulled from the chilling tank for final inspection. Weight is 8.17 lbs.

37123_meatduck.jpg

That duck looks SOOOOO yummy.

I wanted to raise ducks, but the remembrance of their poo alone is putting me off.

Anyone near Bucks County raise meat ducks?

Quote:
No, I scald at 150 deg F until breast feathers come off easily, then I do a rough hand-pluck. Then I dip into duck wax and peel off the pin feathers. Processing takes 20 minutes per bird per person when everything is going right. If I'm drinking beer and listening to good music, it may take 40 minutes per bird.

LOL.... I know that, I'm sure Steve hasn't seen the thread yet... but those duck breast photos and duck sausage he post of look amazing.

Back
Top Bottom