Raising peachicks with a broody hen

Brahmachicken240

Enabler
5 Years
Dec 26, 2018
Decided to make a new thread on this.
Eggs will arrive some time in March so I’ll have good bit my of time to prepare.
Was wondering if I should allow the hen to raise them on the ground from day one when they hatch or should I keep them in a shed on concrete floor with straw for 6-7 weeks before allowing them out on the ground.

Also what food would you recommend I give them ?
Medicated chick starter with extra protein, medicated turkey starter or should I buy medicated game fowl starter ?
Game fowl starter would have to be bought online so... the other two would be a lot easier to get, but I’ll do what’s best of course.

What would you recommend I put in their water ? Apple cider vinegar?

Also housing for the peafowl when they’re older, will they sleep in the barn or will they take to the trees at night? I tried to get my guineas to sleep in the barn but they sleep high up in the trees.
The only night time and daytime predator where Im located is the fox. So owls/ opossum And raccoons arent a problem.

Any more info would help loads, thanks in advance.

I would keep them on a concrete floor with some straw from day one. I would also make sure whatever building you keep them in will have a heat lamp or be fairly warm. The reason for this is that they will quickly get so big that the hen won't be able to cover them at night but they still would chill easily. Medicated turkey or game bird starter would be ideal. They also will love mealworms. I wouldn't bother with ACV at all since it doesn't do anything. If you let them free range they will sleep wherever they want though up in trees seems to be the most common.

I would keep them on a concrete floor with some straw from day one. I would also make sure whatever building you keep them in will have a heat lamp or be fairly warm. The reason for this is that they will quickly get so big that the hen won't be able to cover them at night but they still would chill easily. Medicated turkey or game bird starter would be ideal. They also will love mealworms. I wouldn't bother with ACV at all since it doesn't do anything. If you let them free range they will sleep wherever they want though up in trees seems to be the most common.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom