Ramblings of a gentleman rancher

RobRoo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 19, 2011
Western Montana
As I grow older, I find myself induging myself alot more in reflection, much more than in my younger years when I had to punch the clock and run here and run there trying to get "things" and not too often pausing to appreciate what I have here at home in Montana.

What a day this has started out to be. I was awakened by a phone call from the Post Office this morning at 6:00 am to let me know that my chick order had arrived. Out of bed and onto the fog shrouded highway I went. When I recieved the chicks I dreaded to look into the box, wondering how many little fuzz balls would be dead. Apon inspection all were up,looking good and full of energy. Back at the barn all the roosters joined in with a hello crow and I settled the little ones in. I opened the doors to the coops and let the various flocks out to happily go pick the short tender new shoots of grass and weeds.

It was early yet, so i decided to take a walk out to the pasture and check things out. Even after yesterdays morning snow the grass was starting to sprout up a bit and the horses were nipping at the tender shoots eager for fresh eats instead of last years hay. The snow level hangs low on the surrounding mountains promising good water in the summer months to come. The creek was running clear,the ice gone. The air had a faint tang of wood smoke. A neighbor must be burning some of winters blowdowns and cleaning up a bit. Something I will have to do soon. The new sun was burning most of the fog off and felt warm on my face.

I live in paradise.I am a very lucky man. I have a wonderful loving wife that never complains that I am going to have to rebuild another of her horse stalls to accomodate a new batch of chicks.I wake up to the crow of roosters and and go to bed after I shut the coop doors. The constant hum from the automatic turner in the incubator in the spare bedroom reminds me of new life to come in the coming weeks. To top things off, the tractor started this morning after it's long hibernation. Unheard of around here. The sun is shining bright and strong now and I am on my way out to see what else the day will throw my way.

Life is good as long as the rooster crows and the grass grows. Choose to be happy!

thumbsup.gif

ya, what he said :) i interduceced the adult birds too the chicks yesterday, i think one of the barred rock hens was thinking about going broody , she keep pretending to forage but was looking at the chicks

Back
Top Bottom