Ramp Questions?

BunnyLover44

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Orlando Flordia
How far apart should the rungs/steps on my ramp leading up to the roosting area be? Also - what diameter would you suggest the roosting bar be?

Last edited:
That's a very good question I've always just eyeballed it and my girls do great. But a rule I would go with is 6 to 8 inches apart. The actual roosting barr 2" 3" in diameter.

How far apart should the rungs on my ramp leading up to the roosting area be? Also - what diameter would you suggest the roosting bar be?
I would add rungs close together. I initially had ramps with the rungs spaced 6" or more and the birds had struggled (especially pullets) up ramps. In warm climates, 2 to 3" roost is fine. In cold regions then wider is better so that they can cover their feet. I use landscape timbers because they are rounded, span long distances with heavy loads, and do last when getting wet/dry often (pressure treated).

Ramp up to roost bar in the run. My rungs may work better if a tad thinner and closer together. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the impute... anyone else want to give some advise ? ? ? ? ?
smile.png

I started letting my chickens play in the fenced backyard before the coop was ready. The chickens would hop up and down my stairs onto the back deck each time. So, when I was trying to figure out the ramp for the coop, I decided not to use one. I have a cinderblock placed in front of the chicken door and they use that to hop in and out of the coop. They seem pretty happy with it

- my chicks are 8 & 10 weeks old now. I don't have any younger ones so won't know if it would work for smaller ones.

I got rid of my rungs and put safety tape for steps on the ramp instead. The chickens seem to like it just fine. Bought the safety tape at Lowes. I got rid of the rungs because they seemed to collect feces and dirt too much. My hens liked to sit on the ramp. Now, I can clean it easier.

I use scrap 2 x 4s and rip them into smaller pieces. My cleats on the ramps average about 1 inch wide by about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. They are as long as the ramps are wide. I don't use them for roost acccess for adult chickens, because they fly up to the roosts they want to use. When the chicks are growing, I put a ramp in the brooder and growout pens so they can get up and down. Fun to watch. It also helps them get used to the heights. If I were to figure out a formula...I would probably watch the mature birds and space them no more than the average step or pace of the smallest adult in your flock. Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom