Random snow and cold update

Mixed flock enthusiast

Crossing the Road
5 Years
May 21, 2018
Stillwater, OK
I’ve been discussing our bird’s reactions to our unusual cold snap and cold spell that ended for us just this past weekend. I thought I’d post a quick update on its own thread since I managed a few pictures! We have Guineas, chickens (hens and roosters) and layer ducks. We routinely freeze at night in the winter, so I didn’t think too much about how we’d handle snow and cold with continuous freezing weather, highs in the single digits F and lows below zero, as I figured that the birds were already cold acclimated. I was dead wrong for most of our poultry, but the guineas did wonderfully so I wanted to share.

First off, all coops have an open, wire covered south side for hot summer ventilation. The guineas did fine with this once locked in. The big chicken coop though had some truly miserable chickens and ducks. Their waterer froze too fast, the black rubber waterer I substituted was terrible for water slung everywhere, freezing wattles, etc. The ducks, who happily swam in a pond that still had blocks of ice on Sunday, were so cold in the coop that they were shivering and constantly laying on their cold feet.

The chicken coop is elevated whereas guinea coop has a dirt floor - I think the ground was an insulator and made the guinea coop much cozier. Second, I realize that this will sound so stupid to all of you Northerners, but all those romantic pics of chickens and guineas in snow are likely taken AFTER the storm. I didn’t realize that I needed to lock them all up in their coops because they would stand outside in driving, snowy wind with wind chill way below zero and get frostbite. The guineas and laying hens were smart about this, but my bachelor roosters stood out in the worst of the storm and got some bad frostbite.

Even staying in the coop, all roosters got some comb/wattles frostbite and some hens did as well. These coops are very well ventilated, but the ambient humidity was 70% at the lowest and often 85% at night. I don’t know what I should have done with them to prevent frostbite as I don’t have electricity there, and I could not have put all of these quarrelsome roosters in the garage for this 12 day weather period! I guess I should consider this though if we ever have a weather event like this again.

As far as I can tell, no guineas suffered frostbite. Really the guineas did so well. I was nervous locking 21 of them in 8x16 coop for six straight days, as some are bullied. However, I didn’t see injuries and they all appeared healthy at the end of their confinement. After seeing so much frostbite, I feared for the guineas feet so didn’t let them out until I shoveled walkways for them and the sun came out (still well below freezing). I feared they’d be afraid of the snow and get stuck in the trees, but they did great! I had removed snow from the top of the chicken coop and they flew up there, then came down easily. They also flew over the top of deeper snow instead of trying to walk through it. Anyway, I have to give much kudos to our smart guineas for surviving this extreme weather event intact with the least damage of all our birds!!!:love

Attachments

• 52634D97-FEB4-48FE-81C7-C0900C7E241D.jpeg
    52634D97-FEB4-48FE-81C7-C0900C7E241D.jpeg
    545.1 KB · Views: 17
  • D885DF96-E88A-446B-BE7F-64DB5A1BD732.jpeg
    D885DF96-E88A-446B-BE7F-64DB5A1BD732.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 87CAC6EB-A44D-4774-8566-73314D102A94.jpeg
    87CAC6EB-A44D-4774-8566-73314D102A94.jpeg
    790.4 KB · Views: 12
  • E89AFC41-5F2C-4129-8388-903D90D9B93B.jpeg
    E89AFC41-5F2C-4129-8388-903D90D9B93B.jpeg
    900.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 0BE947BA-D4C2-4A61-8DD2-0E2A77E82E02.jpeg
    0BE947BA-D4C2-4A61-8DD2-0E2A77E82E02.jpeg
    779.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 9B91AB5E-4D5B-455B-9977-0EE0CE3C513E.jpeg
    9B91AB5E-4D5B-455B-9977-0EE0CE3C513E.jpeg
    600.2 KB · Views: 10
It was really cold here last week/weekend too. My ducks usually stay over by the pond, but it was frozen so they came to the chicken coop, as well as the guineas. I noticed one of my chickens had a little frostbite on its comb, but all the others seemed to be fine, and none of the guineas had frostbite.

It was really cold here last week/weekend too. My ducks usually stay over by the pond, but it was frozen so they came to the chicken coop, as well as the guineas. I noticed one of my chickens had a little frostbite on its comb, but all the others seemed to be fine, and none of the guineas had frostbite.
I was so surprised at how cold our ducks were! They are mallard and Welsh Harlequin type, so not huge ducks with tons of fat. But they are three years old and seldom seem cold, happily swimming in icy water, staying out in wind amd rain, etc. I guess this just highlights how much 20 degrees colder can really affect their ability to cope! I had been thinking that there wouldn’t be so much difference for them between our typical 25 F night and having a high of 10 F during the day, but they were really feeling it!

Wow- his crown has done totally the opposite from everything I read. It all said starts white, turns black, so I was looking at him scratching my head. But it's really gone white now, unless that's a different rooster? Vasoline to the crown and wattles to protect from frostbite. Is there a difference in the make of tarps and rolls of thick clear plastic? Clear so they can get the warmth from the sun, and make sure you still have ventilation, but obviously the humidity is the issue. If you put bales of straw or hay you'd be blocking the light and I would think holding in more moisture when it gets wet.
I camme over to find you. We're melting now and in the 40's (it's not all gone yet). Browsing ebay bc it's time to brighten my spirits with gardening, saw this & thought of you, whether for now or in the future - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-6-5L-W...548ddc40bf:g:HiwAAOSwh6xfmRnl&redirect=mobile
Yeah, I really don’t know if anything was going to save the roosters’ combs except a heater or tucking their head under a wing... We have two black copper marans roos in the same coop. One tucks his head but I never see the other one tucked. The non-tucker has wattle and comb damage, but the Tucker does not. Otherwise, the ones with the small pea combs did well but the bigger combed roos are losing some. That’s unfortunate because our summers are so hot: they need that comb to radiate heat.

Yes, that’s still Fabio. His comb looks worse and worse. He still comes in the garage on freezing nights in hopes it will help, but I think he’s losing most of that comb. I hope he doesn’t get sick in the process. The other roos with comb damage have more typical blackened points. I suspect that Fabio’s comb looks so weird because so much of it died... I’ve read too many differing opinions and people who got frostbite after applying Vaseline, etc to combs to want to try that... I’m not touching his comb at all right now - I’m sure it’s painful and I don’t want to break parts off before they are ready to come off... So far the other roos are not bothering him, but I’m watching for them to peck him, then I would need to separate him.

As for the waterer, I think I’ll need something insulated. I have a plastic duck waterer now, it just didn’t fare well in the extreme cold and was too easy to tip to have in the coop. Our daytime temps are in the 60s right now so, barring any incredible weird weather (knock on wood) I shouldn’t need the extreme cold waterer until next winter, or many 5 winters from now...

With things warming up so fast, now we need to start thinking about tornados! I really detest tornados and find them scary as heck! :oops: That’s not a very Oklahoman attitude; most people here are fascinated by extreme weather.

Yeah, I really don’t know if anything was going to save the roosters’ combs except a heater or tucking their head under a wing... We have two black copper marans roos in the same coop. One tucks his head but I never see the other one tucked. The non-tucker has wattle and comb damage, but the Tucker does not. Otherwise, the ones with the small pea combs did well but the bigger combed roos are losing some. That’s unfortunate because our summers are so hot: they need that comb to radiate heat.

Yes, that’s still Fabio. His comb looks worse and worse. He still comes in the garage on freezing nights in hopes it will help, but I think he’s losing most of that comb. I hope he doesn’t get sick in the process. The other roos with comb damage have more typical blackened points. I suspect that Fabio’s comb looks so weird because so much of it died... I’ve read too many differing opinions and people who got frostbite after applying Vaseline, etc to combs to want to try that... I’m not touching his comb at all right now - I’m sure it’s painful and I don’t want to break parts off before they are ready to come off... So far the other roos are not bothering him, but I’m watching for them to peck him, then I would need to separate him.

As for the waterer, I think I’ll need something insulated. I have a plastic duck waterer now, it just didn’t fare well in the extreme cold and was too easy to tip to have in the coop. Our daytime temps are in the 60s right now so, barring any incredible weird weather (knock on wood) I shouldn’t need the extreme cold waterer until next winter, or many 5 winters from now...

With things warming up so fast, now we need to start thinking about tornados! I really detest tornados and find them scary as heck! :oops: That’s not a very Oklahoman attitude; most people here are fascinated by extreme weather.
Well, the good news is we had enough cold to kill some bugs and germs. Won't do anything for covid, but our gardens shld be awesome!🌞

Well, the good news is we had enough cold to kill some bugs and germs. Won't do anything for covid, but our gardens shld be awesome!🌞
As I was bundling up and traipsing out with water during the coldest part of the weather, my passionately garden-loving hubby kept chattering happily about how great this cold was for his seeds... I wanted to brain him!:rolleyes:

As I was bundling up and traipsing out with water during the coldest part of the weather, my passionately garden-loving hubby kept chattering happily about how great this cold was for his seeds... I wanted to brain him!:rolleyes:
Lol -you just made me laugh so much I had to explain to MY hubby. He's on your side; I'm happily daydreaming abt green and spring and plants. Though he has nothing to do w/the goons (yeah, his idea, remember?) - he drives an hr 1 way to work so he's experienced THAT aspect of it.

I find it so odd that the chickens are the ones hit hardest by the cold. Here I was so worried for the guineas, they are African birds right? Yet they handle even the coldest temps like champs!
I don’t think any of my chickens do the head tuck, I’ve never seen it. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons why they get frostbite and the other poultry haven’t.

Your ducks are adorable!

I find it so odd that the chickens are the ones hit hardest by the cold. Here I was so worried for the guineas, they are African birds right? Yet they handle even the coldest temps like champs!
I don’t think any of my chickens do the head tuck, I’ve never seen it. I’m sure that’s one of the reasons why they get frostbite and the other poultry haven’t.

Your ducks are adorable!
So do your chickens struggle with frostbite? I’m wondering how any single combed roosters in cold climates keep all of their parts...

So do your chickens struggle with frostbite? I’m wondering how any single combed roosters in cold climates keep all of their parts...
Yes. It’s my first winter with them so I didn’t know what to expect. I really wasn’t prepared for them to do so poorly.
I snapped a picture just a little bit ago of my boy and a few of his girls. Him and the black sex links got it the worst. A few of my other hens have frost bitten tips. View attachment 2543292

Back
Top Bottom