Rare assortment what breeds?

Thank you!! That's the one my daughter chose.

The breeds listed are:
Ancona, Easter Egger, Andalusian, Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Delaware, Dominique, Jersey Giant, Brahma, Partridge Rock, Light Brown Leghorn, Hamburg, Sussex, German Spitzhauben Appenzeller, Buckeye, Sumatra, Cochin, Polish, Marans, Campine, Lakenvelder, Faverolles, Buttercup, Welsummer, Exchequer Leghorn, Sultan, Penedesenca, Ameraucana, Blue and Lavender Orpington

Hi all,
I have 1 1/2 wk old chicks from a hatchery order of rare breed assortment. Mypetchicken/Meyer in this case I think.

I ordered 1 Lav Orpington, 1 Golden Cuckoo Maran, and 1 Swedish Flower, and then 12 rare breed assortment. 2 died early on. It was and is a Beautiful assortment! I am quite pleased.

Thanks in advance
smile.png

There are 2 of these: Delawares? Straight comb.
[/URL]
[/URL]

Left photo has a lot of bluish shadow...so if it looks blue, it is not a Delaware; however, the photos on the right looks like they may be Delaware (and My Pet Chicken lists Delaware in "rare" breeds).

Keep watching. Feathers should be white when they come in. Black will be ticking on the wing tips...but never blue. Boys will have a lot more black ticking (generally) than the girls as they grow, but both birds will be predominantly white with black ticking coming in.

LofMc

Yes, I keep questioning if there is a blueish hue to the feathers coming in... just not quite sure. Thanks LofMc :)

My pet chicken, which drop ships thru Meyer? The chicks came from Polk Ohio.

6. Very flat comb on this one. EE?

Not likely EE...generally EE's (if using Ameraucana as part of the hybrid, which is typical in hatcheries), have green legs and beard/muff. I see neither.

Very flat comb indicates it is a different comb type...does it look like a bit of a horseshoe? Oriented with luck running down the beak? That is a rosecomb.

If no horseshoe, it might be pea comb, or it could be cushion and a Chantecler which MPC lists in rare.

Need comb shot to guess better.

LofMc

Comb shot of #6... Pea comb then maybe...

Last edited:
Not Gold Cuckoo Marans...wrong color...should have some browning in it somewhere (I think)...probably Silver Cuckoo Marans (which is listed on MPC).

LofMc

I was wondering that too... I saw the feather legs and assumed it was the Gold Cuckoo Maran. But then wondered when the brown would show up. I've never had Marans before.

So... if that one isn't the GCM... either it was a substitution (fine by me)... or one of the others is.

Every time I Think I have them all figured out... I second guess it....
lau.gif
Winter-time, arm chair fun.

Back
Top Bottom