Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Crevecoeurs need preservation BADLY...so do white faced black Spanish...I tried those but had too many issues with frostbite and their large combs.
sad.png
I thought about the Redcaps but again, was afraid of ruining their combs with the cold weather....

Shamos are another one that need help. I want them but hubby won't let me have them...

Quote:
Welp Hatchery in Bancroft, Iowa has very nice Russian Orloffs.

Very nice as in pretty, or APA standard nice?
wink.png

I believe a couple other hatcheries do, too, but we're listing them in terms of Orloffs of type, not production-bred Orloffs.

I have not bought there Orloffs but they say there are up tu APA standards, on the side I made the mistake of buying Silkies from them and it was a bad buy; single combs, 4 toes, and very small crests

Quote:
Very nice as in pretty, or APA standard nice?
wink.png

I believe a couple other hatcheries do, too, but we're listing them in terms of Orloffs of type, not production-bred Orloffs.

I have not bought there Orloffs but they say there are up tu APA standards, on the side I made the mistake of buying Silkies from them and it was a bad buy; single combs, 4 toes, and very small crests

You mean the old APA standard for them? They are no longer a recognized breed.
sad.png
I'm working on them two...I have one rooster and four hens that will be my hold-backs next year. I also have a young pair of Mahoganies. They are very slow to mature though....

Quote:

You mean the old APA standard for them? They are no longer a recognized breed.
sad.png
I'm working on them two...I have one rooster and four hens that will be my hold-backs next year. I also have a young pair of Mahoganies. They are very slow to mature though....

th.gif

Great. Now people can ruin them and no one is there to complain with good reason.

Quote:
Sorry but that isn't a Rhode Island White..

Chris

Exactly what I was going to say. RIW's have rose combs.

She's either a White Rock or the hatchery's attempt at creating a RIW. Her shanks look sort of green, honestly, and her body seems more like a Production Red, so I'm assuming she's a mutt the hatchery calls a Rhode Island White.

Back
Top Bottom