Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Hey Punky, he is in a molt....................................................here he is in full regalia, he is also a Chocolate gold phase..................................Chrisf
5439_img_2171.jpg

its just they ear lobes I'm talking about the rest od the birds have nice pure white ear lobes yours has more red in it.

Quote:
Actually, I'm in total agreement with the 'DH.' A breed should be able to do what it was created to do; otherwise, why preserve it? Having a look-a-like of a rare breed is not the same. If it was for egglaying then it should lay plenty of eggs, if for the table then it should produce a good quality meat, if it was game then it should be game, or if it was only a yard ornament then it ought to look pretty.

You just need to find a bird that meets your needs and your region of the country that you like, study breeding techniques, talk to folks and then jump in.

One word of caution, some rare breeds are in a state of real deterioation. If you get stock from a breeder don't expect it to be top-notch the first year. Just ask the breeder and they'll tell you the problems with the breed.

Oh, I totally agree with you. My DH is just not interested in getting more birds unless we're going to eat them right away. I want to get into the breeding to help with the puration (is that a word??) of a certain breed and keep it going. That's why I asked what ya'll do with the birds when they've maxed out their usefulness. So I need to find a meat bird that I can breed. I guess RIR's have been bred out of being sitters by the hatcheries? Yes or No? I want to have broody hens and not use an incubator.

Quote:
just to let you know your bird is not a pure ohiki
they have white ear lobes

Just because a bird may appear to have a fault does not mean it is not a pure bred. When a bird is rare in this country and there is not a huge gene pool you work with what you got.

Quote:
just to let you know your bird is not a pure ohiki
they have white ear lobes

Just because a bird may appear to have a fault does not mean it is not a pure bred. When a bird is rare in this country and there is not a huge gene pool you work with what you got.

I agree. Other than the light (there is white in the lobes) lobes, the bird is a very good representation of the breed.

Walt

Quote:
Are you sure they turn white and not just become pale? When we say white, we usually mean enamel white like you would find on a white refrigerator. The Crerv should have red lobes all year long.

Walt

Quote:
Are you sure they turn white and not just become pale? When we say white, we usually mean enamel white like you would find on a white refrigerator. The Crerv should have red lobes all year long.

Walt

Well, lighter I guess...not chalk white...the gene pool is so contaminated with Polish blood, it's hard to find decent breeders. It's kind of like you have to pick the fault(s) you're willing to work on...size, crest, beard, color, leg color, comb, temperament...
wink.png

Mine aren't perfect and they have a long way to go....but I'm willing to work on them.

I have been in contact with another breeder and we're planning an egg swap next spring.

Mine are Urch lines.

These are photos of my foundation pair.

roo:

CreveRoo-1.jpg

CreveRoo2.jpg

hen:

MrsPUFF.jpg

Young pullets:
DSCN4915.jpg

Last edited:
50801_ohiki.jpg

So do you think that his roo (Chrisf's) will develope the red ear lobes when in breeding season, like spring ?
I can't see that happening, but I am no Oshiki expert.
Do earlobes actually change color ?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom