Rarest breed of chicken in the US?

Quote:
Oh, maybe a better question to ask Robert Blosl...

Thanks, I will
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I would not think of them as rare. There was over 100 of them at the show I have just returned from this weekend. Rare breeds don't have that kind of presence.

Walt

Quote:
Welp Hatchery in Bancroft, Iowa has very nice Russian Orloffs.

Very nice as in pretty, or APA standard nice?
wink.png

I believe a couple other hatcheries do, too, but we're listing them in terms of Orloffs of type, not production-bred Orloffs.

There is no APA standard for Orloffs, currently, and when there was the only allowed color was black, so there are NO Orloffs up to "standard" in the US as far as I know.

When you order high enough numbers, you would get a percentage of very decent Orloffs to work with from Welp/Privett.

Quote:
Oh, maybe a better question to ask Robert Blosl...

Thanks, I will
thumbsup.gif

They are very rare and today there are two females less than what I had to start with. Would you beleave I have a eight by eight pen with 2x4 inch wire and a dam hawk got into the pen and killed two of the four females that I had in there. Figure that out. This is the second time this year this has happen. Never in 22 years have I had problems with hawks like this year.

I have four females left and the old man who is three years old that came from Jerry McCarty plus of his three of his grand sons all dark cornihs bantams.

O well live is tough till you die.

I only know about three or four good strains of Dark Cornish plus there are a good number on the west coast and one or two strains of white cornish. These are breeers birds. I dont count hatchery chickens as they are not the same fowl. They are great chickens do you have some? bob

Last edited:
Quote:
Very nice as in pretty, or APA standard nice?
wink.png

I believe a couple other hatcheries do, too, but we're listing them in terms of Orloffs of type, not production-bred Orloffs.

There is no APA standard for Orloffs, currently, and when there was the only allowed color was black, so there are NO Orloffs up to "standard" in the US as far as I know.

When you order high enough numbers, you would get a percentage of very decent Orloffs to work with from Welp/Privett.

There was never any Orloffs or Russian Orloffs entered into the APA Standard.
The breed that was interned into the APA Standard was a Rose Comb breed that was Black in color and called a "Russians" or "Russian".

Chris

Last edited:
They still were the Orloff though - They were just called Russians back then. So yes, there did once have their own standard, but only for one edition's length.

Quote:
There was one thing different between the two.
Russians had a Rose Comb where as the Russian Orloff has a Walnut Comb like the original Chlianskaia breed they were bred from.

Now they could be different breeds or simply a different variety. Hard to say.

Chris

Quote:
Thanks, I will
thumbsup.gif

They are very rare and today there are two females less than what I had to start with. Would you beleave I have a eight by eight pen with 2x4 inch wire and a dam hawk got into the pen and killed two of the four females that I had in there. Figure that out. This is the second time this year this has happen. Never in 22 years have I had problems with hawks like this year.

I have four females left and the old man who is three years old that came from Jerry McCarty plus of his three of his grand sons all dark cornihs bantams.

O well live is tough till you die.

I only know about three or four good strains of Dark Cornish plus there are a good number on the west coast and one or two strains of white cornish. These are breeers birds. I dont count hatchery chickens as they are not the same fowl. They are great chickens do you have some? bob

Tommy McRea of Waycross Georgia has some of the best Dark Cornish in the country

Back
Top Bottom