Rash from chickens?

Oh good. Yes, my mom was on it when she had kidney disease and it made her look like a balloon face! No worries! Thanks!

Prednisone can also make you moody, angry, or weepy. My daughter cried the entire time she was on it. I was on it about 18 months ago, and I asked my son if he noticed any changes in my demeanor. He looked at me, paused for a minute, and said, "Mom, you're crazy!" Silly guy.

Something else I thought of just now. My former boss at the zoo could not hold our millipedes or alligators, because she was allergic to them. She'd break out in a rash on her hands and arms. Could it possibly be that you are allergic to feathers? It might be worth a trip to the allergist to find out. You can not be allergic to something the first 100x you're exposed to it, then the 101st, you are. Hope you can get it resolved.

Thanks for your suggestions! I AM moody and weepy, but I blamed it on my ungrateful family! The rash is better today and it's a nine-day course, so if it comes back again, I will go to the allergist. What if I'm allergic to my own chickens?! I love them so much! They NEVER complain or criticize me -- even when I accidentally leave them out in the rain! I guess I could wear long sleeves ...

Or just don't handle them as much. Sounds like, if it was the birds, it may have been the prolonged, more intensive contact with them. Since you didn't have any respiratory symptoms, just being around them shouldn't be an issue. If/when you need to handle them you could wear sleeves. I'm with you, my birds are my stress relief! I considered getting rid of my flock when I had to have chemo last year, to ease the load on my honey. But, I'd just go out there and watch them, even if I couldn't go in the coop at all. chicken TV is the best stress relief!

I have a weird rash right now that itches like CRAZY. I went to a dermatologist. She said poison ivy... gave me 2 steroid shots in the rear. I still have the rash. 8 weeks now. I am hoping it isn't the chickens. I can't imagine life without them now.

Back
Top Bottom