Rat killed a full grown white guinea!

zatsdeb

Songster
12 Years
Oct 2, 2007
Lincoln, Illinois
I went out to the chicken house last night, DH got 2 new white guineas, full grown, locked them in the chicken house, we raised 40 guineas in it until 2 weeks ago when we took them all to a sale... never lost 1.. they had been in there for 2 days, well, there was the white guinea on the ground against the back wall under the roost, it was moving so I thought it got stuck, so I tried to pull it out, it moved more, weird movement.... then I grabbed its feet and pulled, something pulled back.... I got it out and its head was eaten and neck all most all eaten, a big gash in its back.. I shined my light where the guinea was, saw a tunnel, not really big, but not small.. I went back in the house for a better flashlight, put the guinea 3 feet from where I found it, went back out less than 5 minutes, it was back by the wall, I pulled it out again, and shined my light, there was a big rat!!!! AHHHH!!! took the other guinea out of the house an locked it down and put poisen out. I HATE RATS!!!!!
somad.gif

get a dog
wink.png
because my grandpa dogs eats them and yes did i and maybe you to if you also freak out at a half body.....and stepping on an eyeball
sickbyc.gif
but they get rid of thembut you may be readdy to clean a half/dead body

tuna and antifreeze will do the trick. I've had them kill birds before too, amazes me how the bastards even take down something like a adult chicken or guinea, but they do.

we have killer mice! kept finding dead hens and runner ducks with their empty hollowed out skulls and feet chewed to the bone every morning for a couple weeks. One night I hunkered down and sat and watched with a flashlight, MICE went and climbed up an bird sitting on the floor chewing at their combs and feet. On one hen I counted 16 of them little buggers! Grabbed one of the dead birds from the previous night and put it on the floor within 10 mins there were 20+ mice eating away on it........ got 14 snap traps that were filled within 30 min .
Them rodents can be vicious. Back in Germany I remember walking into the coop to have dozens of rats pour out of the feeders dissapearing in their holes
ep.gif
There we used the .22 and spend a couple afternoons in the rafters of the old barn shooting rats. solved that problem.

I hope the rat hadn't eatten the poison, I am afraid to put poison out because I've been told that if the rat eats the poison and my dogs ate the rat when it comes out sick looking for water, that the dogs could die too.??? Not sure, anyone know?

we do have 2 beagles, and they are rat hunters! these rats are in the chicken house walls and we have to tear them out and try to do something to keep them from getting back in there, DH put walls outside tin, and inside wood and insulation between, so bet the rats think they have it made! Tuna and antifreeze..... sounds like something to put in the tunnel!

Never heard of tuna and antifreeze before. Both being sort of expensive and I would rather eat the tuna myself. I found that bait sticks were more productive at killing rats at my place. Just plug thier holes with these sticks so they need to chew thier way into your coop again. This should take care of them without wasting a good can of tuna. Another cheap way to rid them is to build a drown trap. Use a 5 gallon pail filled 80% with water. Float a small pan filled with bait on top. When the rat jumps on the pan to get the bait, it sinks and makes him swim for his life. (which has been shortened).

terry's chicks :

I hope the rat hadn't eatten the poison, I am afraid to put poison out because I've been told that if the rat eats the poison and my dogs ate the rat when it comes out sick looking for water, that the dogs could die too.??? Not sure, anyone know?

The amount of poison a rat consumes shouldn't hurt a dog if the dog kills the rat. Unless the dog gets into the actual container of rat poison you should be ok. I'd double check with my vet just in case, but I keep rat poison in my attic and my dogs do on occasion get rats....I've never had an issue with the dogs getting sick.​

Back
Top Bottom