rat & mouse feed

fc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
Hi folks. I have what looks like plain old bird seed, but it's rat and mouse feed. It has corn, sunflower seeds, and small seeds. Do you think the sunflower seeds are safe for chickens? I just started throwing a hand full in once in a while for a treat. Thanks.

BOSS is Black Oil Sunflower Seed, if you have see that word used in the forums. It's very good for chickens, shell and all. The larger, striped sunflower seeds aren't as great as BOSS, but if it's shelled, the chicks won't have any problems with it. If it's still in the shell, yes they need grit for sure!!!

They are shell-on sunflower seeds. Wondering about whether they will cause digestive problems.

I feed my black sunflower seeds shell on, the shell get digested just like all the other things they eat. No problems for chickens.

Quote:
I always wondered about that. I didn't want to shell 20lbs of sunflower seeds. I like my chickens, but not sure I like them that much. Good to know I can throw them in whole.

Quote:
I always wondered about that. I didn't want to shell 20lbs of sunflower seeds. I like my chickens, but not sure I like them that much. Good to know I can throw them in whole.

Yep no problems as long as they have grit they are good.

Back
Top Bottom