Rat problem almost solved, and the one thats left...

I agree. I had a pet rat as a kid and it was 100x smarter than a hamster. However, after losing my dog, it was war with the wild ones. I have zero issues killing wild rats that spread diseases. We have even had them host bot flies, which was nasty!

So now, I need to use kill methods. But I can't bring myself to use something that will give them a slow painful death, so it's a compromise between being humane and being ruthless
Have you considered the snap-type traps?

If it snaps properly on the rat's head, that should kill it just as quickly as any other method could.

relocated 3
I hope you checked the rules where you live.
In many parts of the USA there are laws against relocating trapped animals, but I see you are in the England and I don't know about the rules there.
And I hope you considered whether they would just become a problem for someone else in their new location.

(Many people do not consider these points, so I hope you are one of the people who DID think it through and do the right research first :) )

how can I ensure its the rat that goes in? I don't want to accidently kill some other animal.
For any kind of trap, if you put it where only a rat can go, you have protected all other animals from it.

For example, putting a trap in a cage made of wire mesh, with holes big enough for a rat to enter, will protect any animal larger than a rat. A trap in a cage inside the duck pen might be one way to protect the ducks while having a chance of catching the rat (obviously you would check whether the ducks can reach their head into the cage to get to the trap.)

If the rat goes in your duck pen, you could also consider putting the ducks someplace else while you set traps in their usual pen. The ducks might be a different pen, or in crates in your house, or something like that.

Have you considered the snap-type traps?

If it snaps properly on the rat's head, that should kill it just as quickly as any other method could.
I have considered it, as much as I'd dislike the sight, if that's more likely than poison to be humane, that will be my plan B, I think. The only problem is if it comes down on a limb and then I'm forced to put it out of it misery 😬
I hope you checked the rules where you live.
In many parts of the USA there are laws against relocating trapped animals, but I see you are in the England and I don't know about the rules there.
yes, surprisingly it is legal to relocate rats and mice, though not grey squirrels. If a grey squirrel is caught accidently, it's illegal to release them. Weird rules in my opinion, but it is what it is...
And I hope you considered whether they would just become a problem for someone else in their new location.

(Many people do not consider these points, so I hope you are one of the people who DID think it through and do the right research first :) )
So where I take them is a long drive out into the country and woodland, I take them across the river, and release on the other side, away from houses and not close to any farms. I've actually spoken to the nearest locals while down there, they don't seem to mind since I'm taking them pretty fat out. It's actually pretty likely that they'll get caught by a predator right after release, but it's my preferred method when possible
For any kind of trap, if you put it where only a rat can go, you have protected all other animals from it.

For example, putting a trap in a cage made of wire mesh, with holes big enough for a rat to enter, will protect any animal larger than a rat. A trap in a cage inside the duck pen might be one way to protect the ducks while having a chance of catching the rat (obviously you would check whether the ducks can reach their head into the cage to get to the trap.)

If the rat goes in your duck pen, you could also consider putting the ducks someplace else while you set traps in their usual pen. The ducks might be a different pen, or in crates in your house, or something like that.
I'm considering this, I can leave the traps in the pens while the ducks are in the coop at night, but obviously in the day that's difficult.
I could set it up right behind the pen where they seem to be getting in, would putting the trap in a cardboard box with a hole cut out work? Or would it be too easy for other critters to gnaw and get in? I'm just thinking about being careful since cats and foxes could get to it, not sure if an electric trap could pose any risk
I might have some mesh I could use if not

The only problem is that you have to use a lot of batteries, and they can’t get wet.

Try using quality D-cells like Duracell or Energizer instead of Harbor Freight D-cells. The 4 quality D-cells last a long time. Check out the pics in my link above, those rats were killed over a period of about 12 days using the same batteries.

Back
Top Bottom