Rats šŸ˜–

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
So we realized we have a rat problem in and under(all coops are raised off ground but tunnels in dirt under them) coops! I haven't seen any inside small coop but bigger ones. By time we realized it was an infestation cause we never saw or had to deal with rat issues! My neighbor had an exterminator I saw leave his house twice in late Sept.. and boom here they are over here.. Which is around the time I started losing chickens so Im convinced it has to do with these dirt neck rats! Back on track sorry lol We have been setting traps and have been catching alot but its not quick enough for me and Im concerned because of how quickly these damn things multiply..I saw majority of peoole with infestationā€™s end up resorting to poison.. iā€™m just not a big fan because of dangers of wild life and neighborhood pets eating rats that are poisoned..so I saw someone on here with the clever idea of setting up traps and position in little pet carriers.. that eliminates anything bigger then rat from ingestion but what about mice or rats after ingesting this and they leave pet carriers? Im afraid of rats ingesting and then potentially wandering off and dying in run or coop where chickens can access the dead rats!! Any ideas or advice?! I need them gone asap! Im worried my silkies always liked to hang out under coops during hotter months for shade and now with this issue thats not happening! And theyā€™re going to be able to free range again soon as were in upstate ny and soon all the foliage will grow back in which is when they are allowed to have full access to all 4.5 acres!

Poison can be dangerous. One of your chickens or some other harmless wildlife could eat it too. And yes, if the rat eats it and dies in your coop and then your chickens eat the rat it could make them sick as well.

Rats are a huge problem when it comes to chickens. As if eating the chickens feed isn't enough, they also steal eggs and can kill chickens (or injure them).

Snap traps can be effective as they cause quick deaths but rats are very smart and if they see other rats in the traps they'll learn to avoid them. You could maybe try spraying the yard with scents they do not like. Pepper spray, garlic, peppermint, or a predator's scent may work.

Maybe someone else will jump in on ideas. I do know that once rats develop a big colony it is extremely difficult to get rid of them. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Poison will be the only way, sorry. Set bait stations where only rodents can enter them, near their burrows. Also put bait blocks down into the tunnel, with concrete blocks on top, so nobody else can get into them. Most of the rats will die in their tunnels, reducing the risk to other critters. And keep your own pets away from these areas!
We've had to use poison twice over thirty years, warned the neighbors, and found a total of two mice once above ground.
And carefully choose what baits used, some are 'safer' than others.
You might have to change baits after a week or two also. Rats are VERY smart!
Mary

Are they rats or mice? There is a difference, sound like mice to me.. field mice most likely they get big but not near as big as rats. I have had great success with bucket traps for over 25 years. Very easy and safe to make and to use.
I've also used the bucket method. It's pretty effective.

Very simple and cheap to make and it works !!

Attachments

• A5379F1A-6A4F-4689-9F1A-4F74DD244559.jpeg
    A5379F1A-6A4F-4689-9F1A-4F74DD244559.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 943B977E-587E-4F81-9CA2-4BE931EC5DF4.jpeg
    943B977E-587E-4F81-9CA2-4BE931EC5DF4.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 40
Can be made with any cylindrical object that fits the bucket you use, cans and bottles, pvc pipe, I had some rollers laying around, balanced and with bearings, rolls super easy.. but as long as you provide something cylindrical that will freely spin, it will work great.. smear some peanut butter and sprinkle with hen scratch, fill bucket halfway with water, and provide a ramp or 2 and start drowning rats/mice tonight.. with NO POISON !

Attachments

• CD383EE1-B481-43D5-825A-81BAA00E3C21.jpeg
    CD383EE1-B481-43D5-825A-81BAA00E3C21.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 37
  • E355DFBC-6A50-460A-B5A1-A99442C29E8B.jpeg
    E355DFBC-6A50-460A-B5A1-A99442C29E8B.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom