Rattlesnake bites and chickens

Sunshine Flock

Crowing
Sep 27, 2017
Northern California
I'm probably the first ever person to go through a Starbucks drive-thru with a live rattlesnake. I rescued the little fella about a month ago from just off the back deck. It was late and I had to pick my husband up from work, and I was really needing a chai. So that's how that came together.

On the way home, we custom delivered the creature to a nice patch of BLM land at the base of an oak tree. He wasted no time burrowing into the deep layers of dried grasses. They don't always survive relocation, but I think the time of year was good for this and we're hopeful he'll do well.

Today we had another one show up, but this time in front of the chicken coop. Like the last one, this one was a beginner and probably no more than a few months old. The problem is that unlike last time, this one actually bit one of the hens in the face. Hortense found both of them. The first time I saw her jump back quickly and then take some careful steps toward something I couldn't see. Her head was craned and I knew right away it had to be a rattler.

She listened to me and backed away, and her friend got himself a nice, new home about half a mile down the road. Today's friend wasn't so friendly. I heard a chortled jolt of a scream and ran to the chicken coop and only found the snake. No chicken, and I didn't witness the bite.

Today's friend is now headless and buried, not out of revenge but because the husband factor factored in and said I had my one rattler save of the year. The rest get chopped.

As for Hortense, I didn't realize someone had actually been hurt. I decided that maybe Henry the Rooster had been a little too rough with a hen in a baby-making session and that's why I heard such an abrupt sound. But half an hour later I found Hortense on the doormat, all fluffed up and with her neck retracted deep into her feathers. She just didn't look right, so I dug around in her feathers looking for wounds and found nothing. I did some wing tests and feet tests and couldn't find a thing wrong with her.

And then I turned her around and saw the other side of her face. It was swollen, but not horribly, and one of those fleshy wattle extender pieces (not the main wattle but a section back near the ear) was swollen up like a baggy testicle. I couldn't find bite marks because of the texture and the swelling, but there's no doubt, not even a little, about what had happened.

When I came on here to do some research, I found a discussion that basically talked someone out of thinking her chicken had been bitten by a rattler. The chicken survived, and therefore, they concluded, there's no way this was a rattlesnake bite. Google makes everyone an instant expert. I'm here to tell you that not all rattlesnake bites are immediately lethal in chickens. While Hortense may not survive the night, she was walking around a bit, and she accepted a yogurt mixture I made with oregano oil and Manuka honey, and she wiggled quite a bit (not from pain) when I applied some honey to her swollen wattle thing.

These are all signs of a decently alert chicken. It's possible the hangy-down flesh that was bitten somehow kept the venom isolated in its own wattle pouch. It's also possible the young snake's fangs passed through the flesh and didn't have much to sink its fangs into. There are different variables here that didn't result in an immediate death, and one of them is where Hortense was bitten.

In the other discussion the bite was on a leg. Scales are pretty tough, and the twiggy stick parts of a chicken leg aren't fleshy. So it's possible this is why the hen survived. I don't know for sure, but I do know we shouldn't discount a rattlesnake bite. Google is smart but not infallible, and there may be scenarios involving chickens and bites that haven't been researched enough to be able to clearly state, as a fact, that all rattlesnake bites on a chicken result in instant death.

If you have any rattlesnake bite stories to share, I'd love to hear them. Did your chicken survive at least a few hours? If so, what were the symptoms? Did she eventually succumb to the venom and die?

Thanks, folks!!

The only thing you can do is give Hortense 1/2cc childrens Benadryl orally once in a 24 hour period, dont overdose. The Benadryl will prevent swelling of the trachea so she can continue to breathe until the venom, whatever amount, works its way out of her system.

I dont have any poisonous snake stories to tell regarding chickens. I've lost plenty of cockerals, pullets and chicks to yellow rat snakes. The yellow rat snakes were dispatched and tossed in the woods. The garter snake below was a victim of circumstance.
001.JPG
5601988.jpg
19157_003sn.jpg

The only thing you can do is give Hortense 1/2cc childrens Benadryl orally once in a 24 hour period, dont overdose. The Benadryl will prevent swelling of the trachea so she can continue to breathe until the venom, whatever amount, works its way out of her system.

I dont have any poisonous snake stories to tell regarding chickens. I've lost plenty of cockerals, pullets and chicks to yellow rat snakes. The yellow rat snakes were dispatched and tossed in the woods. The garter snake below was a victim of circumstance.
View attachment 1451330
View attachment 1451331
View attachment 1451332
Good suggestion with the Benadryl.

When I let the chickens out this morning, they all ran out into the yard as they always do, but this time without Hortense. And I could see the roosts and she wasn't there. So I pretty much assumed she had fallen off and died.

But nope. The running around made for a bunch of blurry chickens and I miscounted. As it turns out, she's still very much alive and just a bit perkier than she was last night. I found her nibbling on some chick starter, so she has an appetite, an encouraging improvement.

As for the possibility she hadn't been bitten by a rattlesnake, we're certain she was. I was in the middle of dealing with an emergency tree situation (a tree fell and was being propped up by another tree; there's a chance it may hit a power line) when we heard that horrible and very quick and sudden scream from her. I ran in the direction of the scream, where Hortense had just been, and found the snake.

Chickens are likely to eat snakes if they get a chance, and I don't think baby fangs are a match for layers of feathers (well, depending on where they strike). But of all the vulnerable places on a chicken, the face tops the list, and judging by her head-down approach with the last rattler a month ago, it's my guess that chickens are more likely to get struck in the face than elsewhere.

Anyway, I'll keep posting back here to document this experience with Hortense the Rattlesnake Wunderchicken. Thanks.

Standard rattler treatment is antihistamines, antibiotics, and pain meds. Keep the body from reacting too violently, keep it from developing infection, and help with the pain.

Rattle snake bites aren't often lethal, even in many animals. Unfortunately in animals under 5lbs the story is a little different. The venom to body mass ratio is a little out of balance.
Young snakes have a reputation for being the most dangerous because they apparently can't regulate their venom well, so their bites are often worse. So I've been told.

I'd keep the hen still, isolated, calm, quiet, and use whatever meds you feel are appropriate. Probiotics would be wonderful. It could be a rough couple days for her if she pulls through, but it's up to her constitution, ultimately.

I think rattlesnakes can give birth to ten babies at a time, so two down and several more to go. I'm pretty worried about where they might be. In one month we found two youngsters near our back deck.

Last year we only found one rattler on our property, an adult we killed. The head is just as dangerous after the snake is killed, so we cut it off right away and buried it a foot into the ground to prevent our animals from digging it out.

A few weeks ago I filled in a bunch of small holes dug under the chicken coop. We were seeing a lot of what we thought were snake droppings on our property, and some near the coop. I excavated under the cement slab and opened it up, packed in gravel and then poured in cement, and I created a trench filled with gravel, and then packed a sloping layer of thick red clay around the foundation.

It's possible the snakes were born under there. It's definitely scary. I can't believe Hortense seems to be healing from a rattlesnake bite and is doing as well as she is today. Her neck isn't quite so retracted into her feathers and she's drinking water on her own and eating — and right now she's begging for my sandwich.

So it's possible a chicken can survive a snake bite, but it depends on the circumstances of the bite. And boy do those other eight baby snakes have me worried.

Thankfully they aren't diamond backs. Yikes.

Last edited:
I'm no "google expert", lol, but things I've read about venomous snakes are that the offspring (babies) can't control the venom output when they bite, so maybe this snake wasted alot of venom on another creature before he got to your hen or maybe he just didn't inject enough venom before he got tossed off her.
It sounds like she got enough to cause swelling, but not enough to kill her. She is lucky in one aspect that it wasn't a body shot, because that could have caused organ failure immediately, but since it was her face there is a possibility for eye, mouth and throat damage.
She sounds like she is doing just fine though! Chickens are really very resilient animals.
I'm hoping for the best:fl

Back
Top Bottom