Rattling breathing open mouth!

SusanPC

Songster
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Southwest Florida
i came home for lunch from work and my barred rock is standing still in the doorway between the run and coop with her mouth open, making horrible bubbly croaking sounds. She has white areas around her beak, but may just be spittle? Also, I notice lots of diarrhea. She won't walk around or anything - definitely in severe distress. What can I do? Already put antibiotics in water, put NutriDrench on side of beak (won't swallow), and applied VetRX to nose openings. HELP!

Here are photos. I also notice my EE has her tufts full of goo? Must be related? She's acting a bit off too.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound or look good. I thought I could hear gurgling. Sorry for what I first posted, I didn't see post 1 for some reason. What kind of antibiotic and when were they last wormed?

Last edited:
Oh dear, that doesn't sound or look good. I thought I could hear gurgling. Sorry for what I first posted, I didn't see post 1 for some reason. What kind of antibiotic and when were they last wormed?

I am in full blown panic mode. I came home early from work and gave my Barred Plymouth Rock, Lulu, some diluted Gatorade by mouth from a syringe a little at a time. She sounds like she is full of fluid in her respiratory track or lungs. I gave her a .5 cc injection of Tylan 50, .5 cc Safeguard liquid by mouth,and rubbed a drop of VetRX on her nostrils. She is probably dehydrated from the diarrhea, so was thinking of giving her some water and a drop of Nutridrench by syringe. Any other options? My 4 hens are a year old and have never been wormed or medicated before. My EE Trixie has the same symptoms, but less severe, so i injected, wormed and Vetrxed her too. My Wyandotte isn't showing symptoms, but I gave her the Tylan and Safeguard by mouth.

The other issue that worries me is my 4th hen and her 9 chicks are being kept in a penned area within the run. They started antibiotics in the water (Terramycin) 4 days ago, because I had a lethargic, croupy sounding chick. I'm hoping they are all okay because they were already on antibiotics. I did give the hen the oral doses of wormer and Tylan. Should I switch the chicks antibiotic to the Tylan?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:
My vet doesn't treat chickens, but tomorrow I might call around if she seems the same or worse. I'm afraid the dehydration might do her in before she has a chance for the antibiotics to help. I was just holding her 2 days ago and there was no indication of trouble breathing or anything. They all were eating some mash I made yesterday from the chick food. Yesterday was the first day I noticed the matted tufts on my EE. I have been very observant of all the hens recently because I spend lots of time observing the chicks and am in the run mid-day and after work each day and sometimes for hours on the weekends. It is so scary that something could happen so fast.

Fluid wise, she needs 15ml per pounds now, then again in 60-90 minutes and then every 4-6 hours after that.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom