Raw Honey and chicken injuries

Lady Gothic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Carthage, TX
I know this sounds strange, but one of my roosters attacked my favorite rooster so for a few weeks our kitchen was a chicken hospital. I tried the Blu-Kote and it didn't do much, so I then turned to raw honey. I put it on his neck (he was missing feathers and skin and all) and then put some gauze and a sock over his neck. Within a week we moved him back outside because most of his skin was back. I only tried it because we have used it on our boarders who have been bitten by snakes that had to be boarded because the owner couldn't care for them correctly. It worked wonders and just reinforced that I need to keep raw honey in the house!!

My grandmother swears by honey for burns, have to admit I am scared to use it :) There have been studies that show it works as well or better than many modern remedy's, especially on skin wounds, burns and ulcers. Probably should be willing to use it more often than we do, especially if trying to go more organic and avoid antibiotics.

My grandmother swears by honey for burns, have to admit I am scared to use it
smile.png
There have been studies that show it works as well or better than many modern remedy's, especially on skin wounds, burns and ulcers. Probably should be willing to use it more often than we do, especially if trying to go more organic and avoid antibiotics.
My great grandmother ate raw honey and banana's every day, and swore by it for all kinds of things...she lived to the ripe old age of 94, with few health issues and her husband, my great grandfather, who she fed this to also, lived to 98.

Some natural remedies are tried and true. BUT, you really have to be careful when treating with natural remedies, as they are not under the FDA and do not answer to anyone, also the dosing can vary per pill or over form...just be careful and do the research fully before administering any herbs or natural methods! Also, be careful of fads too...I have read tons of people that put ACV in their chickens water. I never have, in all these years. I have not read any studies, found any scientific studies on ACV, but have read, that over a period of time and with certain diseases and parasites, it can make the issues worse. This ACV is a new thing, not an old remedy, that is tried and true...just to give one example of what I meant. I am new to BYC, not to chickens!

I wasn't sure about using it either but I own a dog boarding business and one of my first clients was a lab who had been bitten by a poisonous snake. I had to change raw honey out three times a day, but in a couple of months the wound was the size of a quarter.

Freaking auto correct on phone!!!! It's NOT doing it's job this time!!!

Last edited:
My great grandmother ate raw honey and banana's every day, and swore by it for all kinds of things...she lived to the ripe old age of 94, with few health issues and her husband, my great grandfather, who she fed this to also, lived to 98.

Some natural remedies are tried and true. BUT, you really have to be careful when treating with natural remedies, as they are not under the FDA and do not answer to anyone, also the dosing can vary per pill or over form...just be careful and do the research fully before administering any herbs or natural methods! Also, be careful of fads too...I have read tons of people that put ACV in their chickens water. I never have, in all these years. I have not read any studies, found any scientific studies on ACV, but have read, that over a period of time and with certain diseases and parasites, it can make the issues worse. This ACV is a new thing, not an old remedy, that is tried and true...just to give one example of what I meant. I am new to BYC, not to chickens! 
My husband wanted to use all sorts of chemicals on our chickens, and I told him no that they didn't do that when my great grandfather was raising them so I wasn't going to use it now!! I have no idea what ACV is and I've only been raising chickens now for about 5 months, so this is all new to me. But we wanted chemical free food, and this is how we are getting it. Granted we will not be eating our chickens until they stop producing..... But still there are no steroid based foods going into my chickens, and I want to start a garden back there with them for them with wheat, kale, corn, and many other foods that they can eat along with fruit trees for them. :) It seems only right that if you are going to grow something for a purpose you should stick to that purpose.

Last edited:
CV is Apple Cider Vinegar. The most common raw unfiltered with the "Mother is the brand "Bragg". While some claims seem to put its power just short of miraculous (google it), I do think it is a help at preventing and treating sour crop in chickens, though that is probably just because of its affect on ph when you dose it high... at least it seems to make us feel like we are doing something useful. They use it in everything, chickens, dogs, horses, people and its use does go back centuries ...
The nice thing about chickens is they are actually pretty east animals to raise "naturally" because they will eat anything and everything, means you can really adjust their diet to what you have available... and you can raise a lot of it on your own.

Oh I know I keep trying to tell my husband that I want to plant their food, kale, wheat, corn among others and move fruit trees including a fig tree to the backyard. I am really enjoying my chickens they are all wonderful and have their own personalities. Most of my breeds I have gotten for meat or eggs but I got some Phoenix just for my personal enjoyment because they are so pretty. I've learned though that my first two red's that I got (and who are my favorite) are the meanest chicken's we have. We have to have a seperate coop for them because they try to attack everyone.
My sister-in-law just got some chickens too and keeps asking me questions. So when I find something out I let her know. :)

Back
Top Bottom