Re-integrating An Injured Pullet To The Flock

SEaton611

Chirping
Jun 16, 2019
Midcoast Maine
I have 13 chickens - 5 established, year old Barred Rock hens who are very chill, and 7 chickens who are about 12 weeks old (2 easter egger hens, 2 faverolle hens, 3 black australorp hens, and 1 black australorp rooster). About a month ago, when I first tried integrating my new chickens with the old ones, one of my easter eggers - Cruella - was picked on to the point where her entire head and neck was bald, and she was totally scalped. It was absolutely brutal.

I kept her in the house in a dog crate for 3 weeks, and recently brought her "condo" out onto the porch so she could be exposed to the other birds.

The older girls tend to keep to themselves, and lazily chase the younger ones away from the food and things as they free range, but even when they go into the coop for the night, there hasn't been any other violence. The younger chickens tend to keep together as well, including the rooster who has a surprisingly great temperament.

I'd like to be sure Cruella doesn't get hurt again, but also want her to be able to join the flock. She occasionally will hang out with them, and is especially chummy with the Faverolles. Sometimes, the rooster will pick on her. Nothing major, since she can scoot away, but I'm concerned about having them in the coop together.

The only time I keep my gang in the coop is at night, otherwise they free range all day. The exception is when I travel, since my mom can't come back multiple times to let them back in...so they have lots of room.

Her feathers are slowly growing back, and her head has skin again (hooray!!!) and a layer of pick-no-more. But she definitely is a very awkward little creature from being alone and hanging around me and my cats more than her own kind.

I'd love some suggestions on how to best get her integrated. I currently have moved one of the Faverolles into her dog crate condo (it's big enough for my pitbull, so the two have plenty of space), and that has gone well.

Would you recommend continuing to let her free range with the rest of the flock at her own speed?

Should I move the rooster into solitary so she can befriend the other hens?

I don't want to get rid of my rooster (I just learned he was a rooster a few days ago but I kind of like the natural alarm clock, and he's great about keeping the dog from chasing the rest of the flock)...so any advice on how to keep both him and Cruella happy and safe is welcome!

Attachments

• 20190620-31.jpg
    20190620-31.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 667540B9-51DE-4E2D-B6D2-74E585D5EEB7.JPG
    667540B9-51DE-4E2D-B6D2-74E585D5EEB7.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Would you recommend continuing to let her free range with the rest of the flock at her own speed?
Yep.
If the rest of her age group are integrated, and they are also hanging out with the injured bird, I'd continue that scenario.
Does the injured bird go into her crate on her own at roost time....or?

Putting the pair together is a good idea. When you add them if there is one or two birds that are too aggressive, put them in the crate, and let the rest of the flock settle down. Leave them there several days to a week, and then let them back out to the flock.

Mrs K

Yep.
If the rest of her age group are integrated, and they are also hanging out with the injured bird, I'd continue that scenario.
Does the injured bird go into her crate on her own at roost time....or?
She does! A little before sundown, she'll go hunker down in her crate while the rest of the chickens free range. Her roommate, on the other hand, has to be wrangled up and placed there.

She does! A little before sundown, she'll go hunker down in her crate while the rest of the chickens free range. Her roommate, on the other hand, has to be wrangled up and placed there.
She could sleep alone in the crate....eventually she will rejoin the flock in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom