Re-introducing a rooster

Island Roo

Songster
7 Years
Feb 14, 2012
Duncan, BC
I had to separate my head rooster for about 2 weeks to treat an infection.

To re-introduce, I split the coop in two with 13 hens on each side and one rooster on each side for 10 days, Then put everyone together. The junior roo has taken the top position and beats on the older roo's comb which bleeds. The older roo hides his head, but then he get his @$$ pecked till it bleeds.

I have tried this procedure a few of times but the older roo goes timid and get bloody on both ends.

I'm thinking of put the young roo by himself for a while till the older guy get some confidence back. I don't care who the top roo is - I'd just like them to get along like they used to.

Am I doing this wrong? Suggestions?

It may never happen that they get along again. If the older one doesn't have the room to get far enough away from the new younger head rooster then he is going to be beaten up. Sometimes the new head rooster just doesn't want the old head rooster around.

Thanks - you're probably right.
He's got one more chance. I'll keep him by himself separated from the rest by poultry netting. Maybe 3 weeks. If it's still not working out, he's gonna have to go.

I hate to fire the guy after his dedicated service (and good looks).

Back
Top Bottom