Read this! You kids will not be able to work on your farm anymore!!

The parental rights is what I'm concerned about. They are "rights" not "privileges" that the government can take away. I don't care if they think it is unsafe for children to be operating machinery on farms, it's none of their business. And only farms owned by the family will be exempt not operated by the family.

I don't know that that would be any different than the existing child labor laws. After all, you don't have the right to send your child to work in any other business. They exempt family-owned farms as well as those operated or managed by their families. They also exempt work that meets training requirements for educational purposes.

How do these laws come about? The thoughtless employers who allow operation of unsafe machinery by kids who don't have the necessary training. Those are the only situations that are covered by this law.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/aginjury/

• An estimated 1.03 million children and adolescents under 20 years of age resided on farms in 2009, with about 519,000 of these youth performing work on the farms. In addition to the youth who live on farms, an additional 230,000 children and adolescents were hired to work on U.S. farms in 2009.
  • On average, 113 youth less than 20 years of age die annually from farm-related injuries (1995 -2002), with most of these deaths occurring to youth 16-19 years of age (34%).
  • Of the leading sources of fatal injuries to youth on U.S. farms, 23% percent involved machinery (includes tractors), 19% involved motor vehicles (includes ATVs), and 16% were due to drowning.
  • In 2009, an estimated 16,100 children and adolescents were injured on farms; 3,400 of these injuries were due to farm work.

Great statistical information Gargoyle thanks. Now I wonder what the statistics are for teenagers working in other industries and business is say McDonald's or the local grocery market? Would be interesting to see all the statistics as a whole and divided by industry.

I also wonder what the rate of injury and death is regarding school sports and extra curricular activities are for teenagers?

Last edited:
I don't know that that would be any different than the existing child labor laws. After all, you don't have the right to send your child to work in any other business. They exempt family-owned farms as well as those operated or managed by their families. They also exempt work that meets training requirements for educational purposes.

How do these laws come about? The thoughtless employers who allow operation of unsafe machinery by kids who don't have the necessary training. Those are the only situations that are covered by this law.
Did you read the statistics?
"According to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, there were 16,100 farm related injuries of “children and adolescents” in 2009, 3,400 of which were work related."
So apparently it's more dangerous to visit or play on a farm then to work on one? Sure, some owners aren't smart about who they put in charge of operating machinery and etc. But that will happen anywhere you go whether you are a child or an adult. If they have permission from their parent or guardian to be working on that farm and driving that tractor and feeding that bull then the government has no further say. The government doesn't pay for their hospital bills or funerals. The government won't spend months crying if they die working on a farm. The parents will. If they want to take that risk then that's their decision.

You do have the right to send kids younger than 16 to other businesses.

"Minors may also be exempt if employed on a farm by their parents or guardians, and the parents or guardians own and operate the farm."
The family must own and operate the farm. Not just operate.

As far as educational purposes, it also says "may be exempt" which may not seem like a big deal, until they use that loophole to a family's disadvantage. Which at some point or another, they probably will.

It will be very different form the existing child labor laws. And on top of that it gives the government more control over your children. Goodness knows they have enough of that already.

Did you read the statistics?
"According to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, there were 16,100 farm related injuries of “children and adolescents” in 2009, 3,400 of which were work related."
So apparently it's more dangerous to visit or play on a farm then to work on one?
It's clearly an unclear statistic. If someone lives on their family farm, and hurts themselves playing ball or trips down the stairs (just like kids do in their family homes all over the world) does that count as a farm related non work accident in these statistics? If so, (and I don't know if it's so, these stats need clarification) then we can ignore the 12,700 non work related accidents, since those aren't really under OSHA's purview.

Out of 1.03 million children and adolescents under 20 years of age resided on farms in 2009, 3,400 had work related injuries. If my math is correct, that equals a 0.32 percent accident rate, or about one in three hundred. Not very high, unless it's your kid or mine.
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, I guess that's it then. My four year old daughter can't collect the eggs in the morning - a job she dearly loves.

I wonder - do ANY of these politicians have brains?
If you own the farm she most certainly can. I bet that's cute to watch. ;)

answer- probably some of them... probably.

Back
Top Bottom