Real off topic, camper info.

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
DH has been looking at motor homes. He absolutely refuses to buy a pull behind. So he's been looking at B class and C class with slides. Used, can't afford new, barely afford used. Thoughts? Advice?

I only have two words "GAS PRICES"
I sure hope ya'll are loaded. You could afford to get a hotel room for what you'll spend in gas.

Good luck finding one - you might find a good deal with the economy going the way it is.

I always wanted one, camping in a tent gets old real fast when you have kids and no POTTY!
lol.png

I certainly agree that gas prices is a huge drawback right now. But, as stated, that means you might be able to get some great prices from people just trying to unload theirs. If you buy a used motorhome your biggest concern is the engine condition. Have it thoroughly checked by your mechanic. Also, I highly suggest you make sure it have a built in generator.

We have a 40 ft. bumper pull RV. It sleeps ten on beds (one of those is the dining room table) and we love it. It has two slideouts. We like that we can park it at the campground, unhook and then have our vehicle to go driving around in. You will have to pull a car to do that with a motorhome, which also drags down your gas mileage.

Someday we'd love to have a Class C motorhome but we are a long ways from that ever happening. We have too many kids to fit into a motorhome!!

Good luck on your search. We love to go RVing - it's such a great way to see the sights and make memories with our children.

Wildsky, I'm not a tent person, and I do need a bathroom, LOL. Florida is not the place for tents in my opinion.
I know the gas thing is bad, but DH and I live 1 mile from work, and I put less than 5,000 miles a year on my car. So, I'm not going to worry about gas usage cause we don't use that much.
I want a pull behind cause you can disconnect and drive around. In a motorhome, you can't unless you tow a car. DH will not budge on his motor home thing. He said we'll have no need to disconnect the motorhome from the campsite to go sightseeing cause he is not going to stay more than one night at each place. (something wrong with this thought process here?)
Besides, we have a truck and an suv which both tow. Now, what would make more sense? My main concern is that I don't want to put alot of money into a motorhome that's really not going to be used all that much.
How do I convince DH that a pull behind is better?

A travel trailer will have less maintenance!! A motorhome will need oil changes, etc. just like a regular vehicle. Who wants to deal with that?
What kind of truck do you have? Even the new half tons can pull 9000lbs or more on the bumper. A decent sized travel trailer won't weigh that much loaded.
Trust me... You WILL want to disconnect and drive around at times, not all the time, but sometimes. And there will be times where the spot just won't fit a huge motorhome that well, and disconnecting your truck and parking it elsewhere makes your camping spot that much bigger. And another thing... You're not going to want to load your BBQ, dog and firewood in your motorhome. That stuff belongs in the bed of a truck.
Take it from a camping veteran.
smile.png

Edited to add...
PS. Only stay one night at each spot? Now that is just idiotic. Sorry, DH... but what are you going to do... Camp in two different spots one weekend?
hmm.png

And there will be times when you ::WHOOPS!:: forget bread, or milk, or socks, or sunglasses... and a quick run into town is a lot easier when you can unhook and go!

Hi,
We have a pull behind, and it's a blessing. (all the youth camps, and campmeetings...it's hard on momma's running in and out of motel rooms, you don't want your babies crawling on the floor, sitting in the tub...
barnie.gif

I have a friend that has a motorhome, and they love it.
They are evangelist, so...it's their home. They look being mobile while their traveling. Gas prices have us shaking our heads this year. Sorry, that's all I know. They like walking or laying down enroute.

We have a 30 ft. fifth wheel camper with two slide outs. Love it! I can even hook it to the truck, pull it, and park and unhook it all by myself. I like the fifth wheel compared to the bumper hitch because I can see to hook it on the hitch without getting out a million times to make sure I am lined up or have someone there to tell me if I am lined up with the hitch. I also like it because it doesn't sway as much in the wind when you are pulling it. There have been times when I forget it is even behind me.

The gas prices have really killed our plans this summer. We were supose to pull the camper out to Dayton Wyoming for a huge family reunion and it is going to cost us 1200.00 just in gas so we decided we just can't afford to go.
sad.png
We will be staying closer to home this year.

My in-laws own a motorhome and they are always worried about the motor, oil changes, etc. They also pull a vehicle behind them and they end up with worse gas mileage then we do when we pull just the camper.

Part of camping somewhere new is to go see the sites and you need a vehicle for that.

Good luck and you will love camping! I never was a camper until I married my husband. We tried tenting and I hated that, then we bought a fold down camper but it was so much work to set up and tear down that we finally spent the money on the fifth wheel. Now I enjoy it and the kids love it even more.

I've seen some really nice ones for waaaayyyy cheap because of gas prices. I've never had one, so I don't know about suggestions as to what to buy, but I would suggest looking around quite a bit. Odds are you'll find one that's perfect for way less than you'd expect. Good luck!

I agree with your DH Pull behind not cool at all, I bought a small RV two year ago and wouldnt take anything for it i love it and its only taken two trips per year its diesel and yes there will be oil changes and other things cost was seventy two, I'm not going to let the fuel price keep me home either.

Back
Top Bottom