Really nasty ear infection in a silkie hen ~GRAPHIC pics~

Hello again,
@Wyorp Rock , sorry for the slow reply.
For the first ear, I gently pried the pus-scab (eew) and that big chunk just popped out. But in the second one, the pus-scab had hardened with some feathers stuck in it so my more experienced supervisor softened it with warm water and gently pulled it apart and out of the ear with blunt tweezers.

Do any of you have a feeling about the possible source of this type of infection?
I ask because this hen was initially seen by a vet who warned that she should be kept in quarantine, as she was possibly infectious.
(However, this same vet did not even suggest trying to remove the big gobs of pus in her ears, so they may not be too chicken-aware).
@casportpony , do you have any thoughts about the possibility that this could be related to a contagious ailment???

Thank you all for any thoughts!

Thank you both for the responses! I'm glad she is in quarantine.
I'm not in CA, but thank you for that link @casportpony , it's very useful.

What type of testing would have to be done to determine the source of the respiratory infection?
I'm wondering if there is some kind of sample I could take to the vet without having to bring in the hen herself. (Looking at that link makes it seem unlikely...)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom