Really weird rabbit (pics)

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
I have a typical white rabbit, "Dirty" Dianna, that lives at the school were I work. She kept escaping from her cage this past summer and I finally through up my hands and let her run free. She hangs out with our chickens and loves playing with the children during recess. Weird I know but true. Anyway, I watched her dig a pretty impressive hole the other day and when I came back a few hours later she had filled it in. Then today while cleaning out a shed I found another one and she promptly came over and filled that one in to. The two holes are no where near each other so I highly doubt they were entrances to a den. Any ideas as to why she's doing this? It's hilarious to watch and she does a really good job.

Could just be boredom. Digging helps keep their nails in check - Or as you said about dens... maybe she's feeling out different areas for the perfect spot or covers them up because you or someone else has caught her & she wants privacy... Looking for treats??
Depending on how deep they are she may even be carrying. If there are any other domestic rabbits loose in the area there is always a possibility of pregnancy. However I'm honestly not sure how a domestic would be w/ the nesting stage. Wild rabbits tend to make a shallow divot in the ground, that's in a well hidden area. If possible get a hold of her and check her out. with one hand place thumb on one side & fingers on the other, gently apply pressure & move your hand up & down her belly so your fingers feel her sides, anything that feels like a grape or larger (on either side, NOT middle) are wee ones.

Hope that helps some!

I have a free roamer as well, Goliath, he's a riot & likes hanging with my chickens too!
He will dig all over the place, but has no sense on covering any of them up, good thing he mainly keeps the holes to under the other buns cages & the fowl yard.

bun.gif

Funny. There aren't any other domestic rabbits roaming around that I'm aware of but I guess it would be a good idea to check her every so often. The holes she digs are large enough for her to disappear in but how far down they go I'm unsure. I have a house filled with straw for her but I've never seen her use it. I'd love to attach some sort of GPS to find out exactly where she goes.

rabbits dig for fun, and they like to have a fort or somewhere to hide. I have no clue why she covers them up. Maybe she's just really smart
bun.gif

I have a typical white rabbit, "Dirty" Dianna, that lives at the school were I work. She kept escaping from her cage this past summer and I finally through up my hands and let her run free. She hangs out with our chickens and loves playing with the children during recess. Weird I know but true. Anyway, I watched her dig a pretty impressive hole the other day and when I came back a few hours later she had filled it in. Then today while cleaning out a shed I found another one and she promptly came over and filled that one in to. The two holes are no where near each other so I highly doubt they were entrances to a den. Any ideas as to why she's doing this? It's hilarious to watch and she does a really good job.

Hhaha that's heaps cute. I have a bunny called chop and he looks exactly the same as her. He digs too.. Doesn't cover them up though. Just sits in his ditch and has a nap. He is a bit of an oddball though. He quite enjoys swimming and jumps into water for fun..
idunno.gif
Maybe thats her form of entertainment. Haha

Back
Top Bottom