reassure me please(chicken sitting on a duck egg)

stargazingmommy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Spokane
So I went back through memory and posts on facebook and figured that may 11th Bella the chicken was sitting on 3 duck eggs. It may have been a couple days already at that point, but I really don't remember how much longer. Assuming they were just placed that day, that means the egg has been under her 30 days. I was really only thinking it had been 3 weeks(ok I admit, my brain is very foggy due to lots of pain meds for a back injury I got in april, I'm not at my best).
So tonight I snagged the egg and candled it. the difference from 2 nights ago was wow. Then the air cell filled somewhere between half and 1/3 of the egg. Tonight, the air cell is HUGE and there was tons and tons of wiggling in there. It looked some body part or another was stretching into the air cell(internally pipped right?) So I'm guessing it should hatch soon.
Please tell me I didn't ruin anything by checking on it.
The other two eggs were obviously bad and removed a couple weeks ago(think liquified and when you picked it up it sloshed and one had a crack and looked ready to explode).

You can let your hen raise the duckling too. I had a Buff Orpington go broody on me so I gave her some duck eggs.

She had just spent 3 weeks on infertile chicken eggs, and she still sat the full 4 weeks needed for the ducks.

She was a great mama to them, too. When they were big enough, she even took them to the pond so they could swim. She slept with them in a crate in the duck hut, since the ducklings couldn't navigate the chicken ramp up into the coop.

It didn't seem to phase her a bit that her kids liked to swim. It was funny wathcing her call to them and trying to get them to scratch around in the dirt for bugs. She was incredibly patient with her "slow' children. They couldn't seem to grasp the concept of scratching for bugs, but she didn't give up trying to teach them until they were old enough to be on their own in her estimation (which meant when they got their adult feathers and started ignoring her).

Oh how sweet. We are prepared to take it in the house if she rejects it, though I hope she doesn't.
Unfortunately we likely won't be able to keep it, we are already over our animal limit(statutes say 3 small animals, and they include poultry cats and dogs, we have 11 total).

Thank you for the replies. I'm a nervous chickie momma, especially after the last one she attempted to hatch broke its yolk and died during hatching.

Back
Top Bottom