Recently lost my rooster.

Sobien523

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2018
So almost 2 weeks ago something attacked my rooster during the day and killed him. Now my one of my hens had only laid 1 egg since and the other hen has laid 6. Is there anything I can do to help them? They seem like they are mourning and haven’t been very active.

:welcome They are very likely still stressed by the attack on the rooster. Are you certain that the predator is not still in the area stressing them ? This is also the time of year when mature hens frequently take a break in the laying cycle and molt. Sounds as if it something that will pass on its own.

I’m not sure if the predator is still around or not. I haven’t seen any signs of anything. The temperature here has been pretty hot during the day so that might also be effecting them as well. They only come out from under the deck when I’m outside with them and to get in the coop so, maybe there are a few things going on. The game camera sounds like good idea.

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster. I've had that happen, and his hens were freaked for a while, were skittish, quit laying. They do form family groups and the flock is affected by the loss of one of its members.

The game camera is a good idea, in case whatever it is comes back.

Just give the girls some TLC and they'll eventually feel better.

I’m not sure if the predator is still around or not. I haven’t seen any signs of anything. The temperature here has been pretty hot during the day so that might also be effecting them as well. They only come out from under the deck when I’m outside with them and to get in the coop so, maybe there are a few things going on. The game camera sounds like good idea.
Welcome to BYC...sorry you're having troubles.
Was the cock/erel killed while free ranging...or??
Any eggs under that deck?
If they are hiding under the deck most the time they may not be eating or drinking enough to produce eggs?

Welcome to BYC...sorry you're having troubles.
Was the cock/erel killed while free ranging...or??
Any eggs under that deck?
If they are hiding under the deck most the time they may not be eating or drinking enough to produce eggs?

I'm sorry to hear about your rooster. I've had that happen, and his hens were freaked for a while, were skittish, quit laying. They do form family groups and the flock is affected by the loss of one of its members.

The game camera is a good idea, in case whatever it is comes back.

Just give the girls some TLC and they'll eventually feel better.
Thanks, I think they are freaked out and are afraid of being out in the open. Which makes me think that whatever it was that got him was a bird of some kind. I have a good size yard fenced in, in front of the house and they normally are out and about in it. The deck is completely open around the house so they have a good amount of space under it. Also I put water under the deck when they are out free ranging and have been giving them extra “snacks” through out the day.

Back
Top Bottom