Recently mean drake?

My drake has gotten mean- chases me, bites my feet and legs if I stand still, bites my hands if I am bent over cleaning a bucket, etc. He chases me out the gate or into the house...even across the yard! He won't chase my husband, and he sort of chases my dog for brief moments. It's getting awful. His bites are hurting, and I pretty much trip over him while doing chores because he is so underfoot trying to attack my feet/legs. I have tried picking him and carrying him around, grabbing and holding his beak when he is biting, pinning him down, charging him, even picking him up by his neck into the air (eek). Nothing works for long. Anything else to try? He is with his mate and 5 hens. We are in the process of building a separate pen for them away from the chickens because he was eating their feathers......I LOVE my ducks but his aggressiveness is really frustrating.

My drake has gotten mean- chases me, bites my feet and legs if I stand still, bites my hands if I am bent over cleaning a bucket, etc. He chases me out the gate or into the house...even across the yard! He won't chase my husband, and he sort of chases my dog for brief moments. It's getting awful. His bites are hurting, and I pretty much trip over him while doing chores because he is so underfoot trying to attack my feet/legs. I have tried picking him and carrying him around, grabbing and holding his beak when he is biting,  pinning him down, charging him, even picking him up by his neck into the air (eek). Nothing works for long. Anything else to try? He is with his mate and 5 hens. We are in the process of building a separate pen for them away from the chickens because he was eating their feathers......I LOVE my ducks but his aggressiveness is really frustrating.

I am having the same problem. I've tried pinning down but he doesnt stop. I think I need to hole him down longer though. Mabe try hoding him down for a longer time.

Sometimes you need a simulated gander wackin'. Be sure to not injure. You are a mammal, he is a bird. Spread your arms out and when he gets close enough grab him firmly around the neck, just enough he can't escape. With the other hand buffet him like a goose does with it's wings. I hav an appleyards that used to get pummeled by his previous owners big African. Keeps him in line.

My drake is still being a jerk. Now he is worse- he is chasing my dogs and even bites my old guy that can't run from him! He chases us all into the basement- sometimes he follows right inside. He seems the worst first thing in the morning when I am letting them out, and at night when I am corralling them back in. I have been grabbing his beak, which works for like 1 minute- as soon as I walk back towards the house he is right behind me chasing me. I also will scoop him up and carry him around while I do chores...but that also only works for a few minutes. His bites are really hurting and I really feel bad for my dogs (they are greyhounds so they have no fat- I am sure the bites hurt them too). So frustrated with him!

Honestly you'll probably have to light neuter him hard. Give him a full week in the dark. And beat him up a little if you must.

My drake is still being a jerk. Now he is worse- he is chasing my dogs and even bites my old guy that can't run from him! He chases us all into the basement- sometimes he follows right inside. He seems the worst first thing in the morning when I am letting them out, and at night when I am corralling them back in. I have been grabbing his beak, which works for like 1 minute- as soon as I walk back towards the house he is right behind me chasing me. I also will scoop him up and carry him around while I do chores...but that also only works for a few minutes. His bites are really hurting and I really feel bad for my dogs (they are greyhounds so they have no fat- I am sure the bites hurt them too). So frustrated with him!
@KrisCVT Just wondering if your drake is still being aggressive and how old he is? Our drake Zac has been getting steadily more aggressive over the last couple of months (he's now 5 1/2 months) and he's acting exactly the same as yours - with chasing, grabbing and pulling hard at my clothing and biting any skin he can find! Often after having a go at me, he'll then get nasty towards his (extremely gentle and lovely) 'wife' and aggressively mate her. Normally she's a very willing party when they're in their pool, but he chases and effectively rapes her at these times.

We only have the 2 ducks, which we raised from day old ducklings. I'm afraid that if our drake keeps up this behaviour he'll have to go, which sadly would mean losing our beloved Tallulah too (as it wouldn't be fair on either of them to split them up).

@KrisCVT Just wondering if your drake is still being aggressive and how old he is? Our drake Zac has been getting steadily more aggressive over the last couple of months (he's now 5 1/2 months) and he's acting exactly the same as yours - with chasing, grabbing and pulling hard at my clothing and biting any skin he can find! Often after having a go at me, he'll then get nasty towards his (extremely gentle and lovely) 'wife' and aggressively mate her. Normally she's a very willing party when they're in their pool, but he chases and effectively rapes her at these times.

We only have the 2 ducks, which we raised from day old ducklings. I'm afraid that if our drake keeps up this behaviour he'll have to go, which sadly would mean losing our beloved Tallulah too (as it wouldn't be fair on either of them to split them up).

Yup, he is still being a total a-hole. He just turned a year old. You should see the bruises on my legs and feet from him biting me. I walk outside with a rake now to keep him off of me and the dogs. He is the WORST in the morning when I first let them out of the coop and into the yard- usually the female has laid an egg by this time so he is VERY protective. He seems to calm down during the day a little bit; basically I can actually go into the yard and he will keep to himself. He also started chasing me right into our pool area (they never went in their before) and will end up at the opposite end of the patio before he realizes he is alone. Lately I have been grabbing him and holding him to the ground with his neck stretched out too....keeping him pinned for 30 seconds or more....and if I let him up and he runs back at me, I grab him and pin him again. It seems to help him leave me alone a little bit. But it's tough to keep doing it in the morning before I go to work because I am usually trying to get chores done quickly. But I am trying to be consistent with it. He does rape the female sometimes and the back of her neck is almost bald, but they don't seem to mate a ton....usually frisky when there is a big fresh basin of water. Both ducks still jump at my chickens and bully them. Jerks.

Yup, he is still being a total a-hole. He just turned a year old. You should see the bruises on my legs and feet from him biting me. I walk outside with a rake now to keep him off of me and the dogs. He is the WORST in the morning when I first let them out of the coop and into the yard- usually the female has laid an egg by this time so he is VERY protective. He seems to calm down during the day a little bit; basically I can actually go into the yard and he will keep to himself. He also started chasing me right into our pool area (they never went in their before) and will end up at the opposite end of the patio before he realizes he is alone. Lately I have been grabbing him and holding him to the ground with his neck stretched out too....keeping him pinned for 30 seconds or more....and if I let him up and he runs back at me, I grab him and pin him again. It seems to help him leave me alone a little bit. But it's tough to keep doing it in the morning before I go to work because I am usually trying to get chores done quickly. But I am trying to be consistent with it. He does rape the female sometimes and the back of her neck is almost bald, but they don't seem to mate a ton....usually frisky when there is a big fresh basin of water. Both ducks still jump at my chickens and bully them. Jerks.
Oh dear, I was hoping to hear that it might have gotten better over time. Guess not!! What do you think you'll do? I'm feeling somewhat forgiving towards our Zac because I know it's his hormones driving him and that's not his fault. But he's certainly taken all the joy out of having him as a pet (as I imagine yours has too!!). I'm looking at rehoming both him and Tallulah (which will break our hearts) at a lifestyle property not far from here. Apparently the family has lots of ducks and chickens with duck house and pond, but I'll check it out first. I'm hoping the other ducks will keep Zac in check, and that the expanse of free-roaming land will keep him too busy to think about being mean to humans!! What happened to the darling little duckling that would follow up everywhere and snuggle up in our laps for cuddles...?

Back
Top Bottom