Recessive Slate Turkeys (from Porter's)

Sounds like they want to keep a hold on the genetics as long as possible in order to keep the price high for as long as possible. I mean, some people are strangely protective of a strain (I know a man who says he's in mental pain when he hears about his sold Herefords being used to make Angus crossbreeds) but that's an absolutely ridiculous contract.

Sounds like they're in it for the money to me. I wouldn't be looking for the terms of the contract to change any time soon.
Price is the same as any other poult they sell. I bought 3 of each recessive variety. I’m not afraid of the contract at all.

Hi, I’m the owner/operator of Fowl Mouth Hatchery and one of only 7 breeders in the USA to be breeding the Recessive Slates. With that said, while a stringent one, his contract protects a legacy that he has started for himself. He has worked tirelessly to get these birds here legally with little to no help paying for all of the expenses. These birds will not be ready for general purposes for years down the road. We, as a whole, will do anything to prevent the bastardization of this breed by less serious breeders. He is working hard to test breed this variety to ensure pure strains are kept. He is the only one allowed to test breed to ensure no one “waters down” this beautiful specimen.

Hi, I’m the owner/operator of Fowl Mouth Hatchery and one of only 7 breeders in the USA to be breeding the Recessive Slates. With that said, while a stringent one, his contract protects a legacy that he has started for himself. He has worked tirelessly to get these birds here legally with little to no help paying for all of the expenses. These birds will not be ready for general purposes for years down the road. We, as a whole, will do anything to prevent the bastardization of this breed by less serious breeders. He is working hard to test breed this variety to ensure pure strains are kept. He is the only one allowed to test breed to ensure no one “waters down” this beautiful specimen.
Bastardization of the breed? Why is he selling poults to begin with then?

Foulmouth... after showing dogs for 30 years, I'm pretty used to breeding contracts. Something most turkey folks may not be aware of. I never sell an intact dog without some breeding requirements in place. I commend all trying to preserve the integrity.

Bastardization of the breed? Why is he selling poults to begin with then?
To get a beautiful - once extinct- variety back up in numbers. It is a challenging and noble venture- and an expensive one at that. So it makes perfect sense to me that one would protect their legacy by putting an iron clad contact in place to protect that. If someone has that much of a problem with it- I question their MO. But good thing the solution is simple- don’t buy one. I’m not trying to sound snarky or hear things up but I feel like Kevin’s integrity is being questioned - and if one thing is for sure- if anyone has made Turkey genetics their life’s work , it is Kevin porter. We can surely all agree there. And he deserves everyone’s respect for that. We (as turkey owners) have all benefited from his work in one way or another. This I promise you. Please show some respect.

Sounds like they want to keep a hold on the genetics as long as possible in order to keep the price high for as long as possible. I mean, some people are strangely protective of a strain (I know a man who says he's in mental pain when he hears about his sold Herefords being used to make Angus crossbreeds) but that's an absolutely ridiculous contract.

Sounds like they're in it for the money to me. I wouldn't be looking for the terms of the contract to change any time soon.

Honestly if you thought this through you would realize they would benefit more by selling without a contract then they do with it. As it stands only a handful of individually picked breeders have these birds from Porter's. I am sure he hasn't made a profit after you factor the cost of importing legally. He isn't concerned with profit so much as building and improving the quality of these lost genetics.

Back
Top Bottom