Recipe for pickled quail eggs?

I made pickled quail eggs just last week. Along with vinegar and pickling spices, I used the beet water from steamed beets. The eggs are the prettiest deep pink little things ...and they taste good too. Oh, and I also threw some chunks of fresh ginger in there as well.

I am a huge sushi fan... even make my own spicey tuna... But I've never had quail eggs other than in oyster shooters... How are they normally served? Also, where is fontana? I'm near Sacramento...

I make my own sushi sometimes as well, my favorite with the quail eggs is on top of masago (flying fish roe, little orange eggs), actually you only put the yolk (raw) on top of the masago. It is very easy to make: sushi rice on bottom wrapped with seaweed (rice only half way up seaweed) fill rest with masago and then put a quail egg yolk on top. I put a little soy sauce with wasabi on mine and then enjoy. The creaminess of the yolk with the masago is absolute heaven.

Fontana is outside LA about 50 miles, it is in the Inland Empire. I live near the CA speedway where the NASCAR races are held here in SoCal.

MMM... Yet another reason I am eagerly anticipating my quail eggs!! Where do you get your masago?

Yay chicks, that sounds so yummy!what ratio water to vinegar did you use?

Holachicka,
I honestly didn't measure the beet water to vinegar ratio, I just tasted it. Almost forgot, threw a little sugar in there...again, to taste. I wasn't too worried about it because I'm not preserving them for a long time. Made up a fairly small batch and they go quickly.

Yay Chicks! :

Holachicka,
I honestly didn't measure the beet water to vinegar ratio, I just tasted it. Almost forgot, threw a little sugar in there...again, to taste. I wasn't too worried about it because I'm not preserving them for a long time. Made up a fairly small batch and they go quickly.

The beet juice idea sounds pretty neat, I will probably have to make a separate batch since I am the only one in my family that likes beets, don't know why they are delicious...LOL.​

Huntercf,
I fed them to a non beet eater, and what with the vinegar and the pickling spices, they didn't say anything about the beet taste...but some people can be pretty stubborn about beets! I love 'em! Good luck.

well you can do it many ways but I know some cheats LOL. I use this when I dont feel like making up the stuff. Just buy the small jars of pickles whichever flavor you want, we like bread and butter pickles so we made some bread and butter flavored quail eggs, they were mighty delicious. Just get rid of the pickles in the jar and replace them with the quail eggs. Poof! Leave em in the fridge for about 48 hours you can shake or flip the jar whenever you open the fridge.

if there is a newer thread on this let me know.

Just steamed ~50 Quail eggs, what I have collected for a week from 7 hens. I cooled them in ice water and now they are immersed in Braggs ACV.

next goal, pick a pickling recipe over the 24-36 hours.

any other recipe suggestions to revive this thread?

Back
Top Bottom