Recipes with egg yolks?

ORChick

Songster
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Oregon
My DH just started a short term restricted diet that, among other things, doesn't allow egg yolks. He's only been on it for 2 days, and I already have 4 yolks in the freezer! And we have another 2 weeks to go. Does anyone have any wonderful recipes that will use up several yolks, and no or few whites? Mayonnaise and Hollandaise both spring immediately to mind, but they are both not everyday sorts of foods - not in this house, at any rate. I'm thinking some homemade noodles as well, but would love to hear other suggestions. Thanks a lot.

It occurs to me to add that this diet is not just a whim on DH's part. Its Dr's orders, as part of his treatment for thyroid cancer. Were this a year from now I could hard cook the yolks and feed them to the hens, but I am still in the planning stage, and will have no chickens 'till next Spring. Thanks for any help.

50 year old chocolate pudding recipe

3 Squares ( 3 oz ) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup Sugar
1 tablespoon Flour
¼ teaspoon Salt
2 cup Milk; scalded
5 Egg yolks; beaten
½ teaspoon Vanilla

Melt chocolate over hot water; mix sugar, flour and salt, and blend with chocolate. Stir in 1 cup of the hot milk and beat until smooth; then cook over direct heat until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Stir rest of hot milk slowly into beaten egg yolks; add to chocolate mixture and cook 3 minutes longer over boiling water, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool and serve plain or with cream. 5 servings. This is an excellent way of using left-over egg yolks.

Redfeathers, thank you. DH loves chocolate pudding, and, as dairy, including the milk in chocolate, is another item on the do not eat list at the moment, this will be doubly welcome when this is over. I'll need to make sure that I freeze some of the yolks with sugar.

I can only think of rich recipes for the yolks like Aioli or hollandaise both for asparagus.

But when you scramble an egg for yourself you can add the extra yolk. Or if you bake you can add an extra yolk. Custard would be a good use, too.

Awhile back I posted an egg bread recipe that takes 6 yolks. It is a great bread!

You could also try my homemade mayonnaise recipe using only the yolks and a good olive or canola oil or one of the new healthy blends that is healthy for your husband.

I just went looking for your egg bread recipe MissPrissy. It looks absolutely rich, and decadent, and...........wonderful! I've made a note of it. With the holidays coming it will be perfect. I can see that we will be having a delicious, if cholesterol rich, holiday season. Egg bread, chocolate pudding, egg noodles, Hollandaise sauce (with broccoli, ummmm), and turkey sandwiches with homemade mayonnaise! Creme brulee, and eggnog. And if I still have a few yolks left over there is always cheesecake!

One recipe I found that I'm planning to try is Hungarian Tarhonya. These are small pasta pieces, about the size and shape of barley. Basically just flour, eggs, and a bit of salt. Dried they will keep "forever", and are a nice thing to put in soup, or serve as a side dish with gulash, or other stew like things. I've had them at a Hungarian restaurant we used to go to, but, so far, have not made them myself.

Just flour, some salt, with eggs (whole and/or yolks) mixed, and kneaded, to form a stiff dough. This dough then either grated on a large grater, or shoved through a colandar, or chopped into small pieces, and dried. Side dish: boil 'till tender, then toss in a pan with some melted butter or hot oil. Serve as is, or with cheese, or sauteed onions. Maybe topped with breadcrumbs browned in butter.

Creme Brulee

2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
1 tea. vanilla

Heat Cream and sugar until hot, whisk slowly into yolks, add vanilla...strain and pour into individual and bakeable dishes (ramekins or custard cups) Bake in a water bath until set, about 350, most recipes tell you to stick a knife in the center and if it comes out clean, it is done. I just jiggle the dish a bit, and if it wiggles like jello it's done, (it sloshes around when not baked, and doesn't budge if it over baked)
Cook in frig, when ready to devour, sprinkle a layer of granulated sugar on top, carefully run under the broiler to caramelize the sugar. Now to make this really easy, go out to the garage, barn, workshop, toolshed and get out the blow torch and use that! Sounds crazy, but it is the easiest way to do it! Yeah there are those "cute" kitchen torches and I have one....but the blow torch is far more efficient!
Bon Appetit!

Lemon curd as a topping on homemade pound cake is wonderful. If you think the texture is too stiff, add some whipped cream--the real thing, of course! If you don't like lemon, use orange juice and orange zest instead.
This is an easy recipe, courtesy of FoodNetwork.com Lemon Curd

Back
Top Bottom