Recommend a fence for high predator area

Dec 2, 2020
The goal is to have a secure place so I can leave and not be concerned about predators. The secondary goal is to have enough fenced space to internally divide the large run in a rotation. I am fairly rural, closest house is maybe 2,000 feet away.

I originally was going to use two Hutchison 330 ft wire game fence that are 8 feet tall. But I realized the 2x4” spaces in the wire are much too big. I am also considering a 6’ horse fence with much smaller openings.

I am going to electric whatever I end up with.

I have 2 local black bears that eat my tractor seat and bite random things, but mostly have ignored the chickens. One of the them has tried in the past to get into a coop, but gave up pretty easily.

I have cougars and Canada lynx and bobcats around. I see a lot of tracks. They ignore the chickens....but who knows In the future.

I’ve seen coyote tracts and what I think are wolves - there are a lot of wolves in the general area.

Most of my losses have been to skunks in the Coop

What fence/fence type should I use? Money is a concern, but a couple $100 won’t make me choose something inadequate.

Last edited:
I'm also rural, but not as high predator as you've described at your location. We have coyotes, bobcats, foxes, feral pigs and sometimes neighbor's mongrel dogs. My barn is surrounded by 5' no-climb horse fence (Red Brand)-- NOT just the 2x4 fencing. I consider this my Barnyard. Attached to this area is my Barn Pasture (same fencing). My hens free-range in both areas during the daytime.
Both areas have either electric wire or electric tape running at the top of fencing, on the outside. In addition, my Barnyard has a lower strand of electric wire running about 6" above the ground, also on the outside. Over time, I've added 2x4 wire apron sections in places where the armadillos have dug underneath the BP and the BY. Haven't had a predator breech in years. The white-tailed deer have never jumped my 5' fencing, either. Hot tape or hot wire, IMHO, is essential. Also, no overhanging branches from trees extending into the fenced area, if possible. Finally, plenty of bushes or manmade mini-structures where chickens can run for cover.

Do you have a rooster? He will get really loud and announce a problem. Then, that’s when you run out there with a shotgun ready to go just like Elmer Fudd.
I understand the bobcats and perhaps the cougars, but bears…well, that’s a bit of a tough one since they can just use force.

I understand the bobcats and perhaps the cougars, but bears…well, that’s a bit of a tough one since they can just use force.
Electric fence. We’ve had neighbors lose chickens several times to bears, which have pulled off siding (no sheathing) and in another case ripped through 1 inch boards, but the bears have never gone through their electric fence.

In addition to people here, several states game departments on their websites recommend a good hot fence as the best protection against bears.

Do you have a rooster? He will get really loud and announce a problem. Then, that’s when you run out there with a shotgun ready to go just like Elmer Fudd.k

I’ve got a the 8’ fence up. Have to adjust some and run wire for electric. I have temp mesh electric fence inside the fence line.

Back
Top Bottom