Recommendations on record keeping

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
Hey guys, does anyone have a good recommendation for a record keeping system/program? My husband wants us to start keeping track of all our chicks because we have some goals later down the line and we'd need to know who everyone is breed wise. Also, it was recommended to me by a local breeder to not use leg bands until they are full grown, or close to it....how do I keep up with them until then?

it was recommended to me by a local breeder to not use leg bands until they are full grown, or close to it....how do I keep up with them until then?
A chick's legs do grow quickly. If you put legbands on when they are young, you have to keep checking, and change the bands as the chick grows.

If you want to put legbands on just one time and forget about them, do it when the chicks are almost fully grown. But if you want to track them from a young age, and are willing to keep changing bands, you can band chicks as young as you like.

A chick's legs do grow quickly. If you put legbands on when they are young, you have to keep checking, and change the bands as the chick grows.

If you want to put legbands on just one time and forget about them, do it when the chicks are almost fully grown. But if you want to track them from a young age, and are willing to keep changing bands, you can band chicks as young as you like.
I'm very willing to check up on bands frequently. Do you know roughly how often I'd have to change them out?

I'm very willing to check up on bands frequently. Do you know roughly how often I'd have to change them out?
It depends on how fast the chicks grow, and seems to change with age. You should be able to go at least a week between changes, and sometimes a month or more. Just look at them, and pick up a chick every now and then to check. Some chicks (especially males) will have their legs grow faster than others, so they may not all need a change at the same time.

It depends on how fast the chicks grow, and seems to change with age. You should be able to go at least a week between changes, and sometimes a month or more. Just look at them, and pick up a chick every now and then to check. Some chicks (especially males) will have their legs grow faster than others, so they may not all need a change at the same time.
Gottcha! I'm very particular about my animals, so even my horses get a daily look over. Shouldn't be a problem. That'll help me in the long run keep up with everything I'm hatching and raising.

Back
Top Bottom