dita

Chirping
Aug 26, 2021
Hello! If this is not the correct area I'm sorry in advance. I felt this might be the closest forum section to post this.

I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte less than a year old who is a bit of a special case. She has had a deformed neck since birth and it isn't wry neck. I have taken her to vet in the past and they suggested physical therapy which I plan to try more with her in hope it helps. Her neck is just bent weird and while it hasn't slowed her down she gets bullied quite a bit by the other chickens. I brought her inside so she is safe from them because she had a bunch of scabs all over her back from their bullying. Her scabs are almost all gone now and the skin under them looks healthy. I'm waiting for her feathers to return again but this is where my question begins. She has quite a few feathers where the casing is still on the feather and I believe it could be because she just can't preen herself quite the same as a normal chicken. She just has issues reaching her back and sides. She seems to be healthy otherwise and her feathers that are there look shiny and healthy. She has no decreased appetite or thirst. She's basically like all the others except very shy of them because of the bullying.

What could I do to help groom her? She is starting to bond with me now and even as of last night refused to leave my arm or shoulder and even climbed on my chest when I was laying down to get closer to me for pets. She is very friendly and well behaved but her neck does limit her.

What would you do in this situation? I do worry about her quality of life but she hasn't let her disability slow her down. I planned to try and saddle train her at least so she has a bit more protection when she is outside but would it be the best for her to continue to live beside these other chickens who are being so mean to her?

Sorry this is such a long post with multiple questions but I was hoping to hear from more experienced chicken keeper and what their thoughts might be. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210826_011844.jpg
    20210826_011844.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom