Recreate the Producer's Price coop roof?

fat brown hen

Songster
Jun 12, 2022
I built a small 4x8 box coop/run, but it still needs a roof. I really like the looks of the cheap-o mini coops at Tractor Supply, and I'm wondering how I can recreate this at home.

Is it just thin plywood wrapped in some sort of roofing paper? I have zero roofing experience, so please explain it like i'm 5 :)

(the coop is already fully encased in a double layer of hardware cloth + welded wire, so the roof is purely for weather.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 10.25.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 10.25.19 AM.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 61
That is actually not a real roofing product. Meaning you're not just going to find a roll of it at home depot. If I was going to recreate it I'd take particle board and glue on a sheet of tar paper with course sand glued on to that. Like for an indoor project or something but NOT a coop roof. I have this. I bought this coop to use as a brooder inside my actual coop. I left the roof pieces outside leaned up against my coop and you should see what they look like after one winter. The "wood," which I promise you is not plywood, it's particle board is not the pretty grey anymore, it's black from mold. And the "roofing paper," just peeled away. It's garbage. I doubt that anyone will encourage you to use this in actual weather. No one wants to see you waste money. Just grab some real asphalt or cedar shingles and cover real plywood to be a way better position with an attractive roof.

That is actually not a real roofing product. Meaning you're not just going to find a roll of it at home depot. If I was going to recreate it I'd take particle board and glue on a sheet of tar paper with course sand glued on to that. Like for an indoor project or something but NOT a coop roof. I have this. I bought this coop to use as a brooder inside my actual coop. I left the roof pieces outside leaned up against my coop and you should see what they look like after one winter. The "wood," which I promise you is not plywood, it's particle board is not the pretty grey anymore, it's black from mold. And the "roofing paper," just peeled away. It's garbage. I doubt that anyone will encourage you to use this in actual weather. No one wants to see you waste money. Just grab some real asphalt or cedar shingles and cover real plywood to be a way better position with an attractive roof.
Thank you for your input. I certainly don't want something that will mold and rot, but proper shingles are beyond my skill level. Like, I would probably put them on crooked.

If you are looking for ease of installation maybe check into the options at the home stores like Home Depot.

If it's the actual look you are really wanting maybe this product...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Lib...-Low-Slope-Roofing-in-White-3732920/100031926

Yes, I was looking for something just like that! Peel-and-stick roof, sounds so simple. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I drop a hundred bucks on a roll.

Thank you for your input. I certainly don't want something that will mold and rot, but proper shingles are beyond my skill level. Like, I would probably put them on crooked.

Yes, I was looking for something just like that! Peel-and-stick roof, sounds so simple. Just wanted to get a second opinion before I drop a hundred bucks on a roll.
Oh sorry, I stand corrected, didn't know that existed. It does look like a much better product than what they've done on the pre fab coop "roofing."

When I build my coop, I considered something like this:
Peel & Seal Self Stick Roll Roofing (for RVs)
https://www.amazon.com/MFM-Peel-Stick-Roofing-36in/dp/B000HE7RYQ/?th=1

I ended up going with metal roofing. They really aren't all that difficult for newbies like us ... and they pretty much last forever.

I'm not opposed to metal roof, but I don't have a way to cut it. And this might sound stupid, but my coop is at about face level, and I have this irrational fear that one day I'll move too quickly and slice my head open on a metal edge.

Back
Top Bottom