Recuperating Chicken taking a turn for the worse..

SunriseKerry

Hatching
Oct 26, 2015
About 6 weeks ago, I had a chicken get "played with" by a dog. She had a hurt leg, so we brought her into the house in a large rabbit hutch to recover. I was pleased to see that she recovered quite nicely, leg healed up. She still limps a bit, but she was becoming very social with us and had begun to lay eggs nearly daily for us. We tried to reintroduce her to the flock, but they bullied her very badly and the poor thing was hiding in the corner of the coop. So...we brought her back inside for now. I have some Austrolorp chicks (she's a White Leghorn) that I'm raising up and they will be kept separate from our larger flock, so I figured I'll put her in their coop and she can be the den mother, so we have just been waiting for the 'lorps to get big enough to go outside. We let her out of the hutch and my kids take her out to the yard to let her get some chicken time everyday. Until about 3 days ago.. she's been very lethargic, just sitting in on place in the hutch..my boys took her outside and she literally just fell over when they put her down. Now she only moves if we move her.. Gave her a warm bath soak yesterday, her vent is clear and I'm not seeing any swelling. if you press your finger into her feet, she'll grab on, but she won't support her weight and perch. Poops are dark brown/black. She laid a regular egg 2 days ago, but yesterday's egg had no shell.

Any ideas?

She may be dehydrated or has been weak from her time back with the others. I would give her electrolytes and vitamins in her water, and put some water into her feed to get her to eat and drink. She may have some reproductive disorder related or not to her attack injuries. Those problems include internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis , and others. Just continue to watch her, and if she gets better again, place her in the coop or run inside of a crate or cage and slowly re-introduce her. She could be with the new chicks, but she may bully them or she may be fine.

Back
Top Bottom