Recycled Seed Bag!!

What pleasant memories this thread stirs! Many years ago when I was a kid my mom made all the clothes we wore. Her Dad ran a hatchery, feed, seed distribution type operation. I remember many a days going with my Mom to Grandpa's to sort thru the empty cloth feed bags to pick patterns (yeah, in those days everybody was expected to recycle) of feed sacks so she could make our shirts, and my sisters dresses.

I think I was probably in the 2nd or 3rd grade before I got shirts that were not made from feed sacks. Ah, sweet memories, how they linger!

I guess we were poor, we didn't know it!

Quote:
Awww thats really sweet, even the fact that you were allowed to choose... thats really sweet.

hugs.gif

Quote:
That's awesome Wildsky! You gotta teach me how to make those, we've got plenty of feed bags here. Send me one next time you make jerky
wink.png

CRUD - I need to make jerky!!!
barnie.gif

I will send you jerky - but I don't have anymore seed bags...

I can teach you! do you have a sewing machine?

Quote:
Thanks, I would love some of your jerky and how to make seed bags! Yep, we got a sewing machine.

Only 4 more posts to get to 5000...remember when you were in this spot
gig.gif

gig.gif
Have you sewed before?

Its really easy! the bags are tricky cause they're HARD and not soft and flexible like fabric.

The seed bag and the link you posted of the fabric 'plastic' bag both look great!! I wanna try both myself! Right after I finish that Mei Tai that I planned on making when Crane was 2 months old... hmmmm..... he's gonna be 2 in Dec... think I will still get use out of one??? LMAO

Quote:
I used my Mei Tai at disneyland when my son was 3 1/2- He was heavy and I switched out with my hubby now and then - I carried him on my back. It worked like a charm, I couldn't have carried him so long in my arms.
And he ended up going to sleep on my shoulder at the end of the day - I had to LUG his heavy weight self all the way to the car so as not to wake him!
th.gif

You can do it PP - just some practice on fabric and you'll be fine, the bags are all pretty much straight lines - not too difficult at all

Back
Top Bottom