Red Beets.....what do I do with them?

kbarrett

Songster
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
PA
I am needing some advice on how to put up red beets. My grandmother is in the hospital and during the week I'm staying back on the farm to care for my grandfather. Grandma has lots of beets that I believe (?) need to be harvested. DH & I don't care for them so I've never grown them. I think she mostly cans them but I don't have the knowledge to do that so what are my options?
Things are not going well for her, at best she'll be in there a min. of 4 weeks. I'm praying she does get to come home and I just would feel horrible if she knew I let any of her harvest go to waste!

Please give detailed info....thanks!

Put them in a big pot of water, and boil them. Test with a fork to see when they are done-should be soft.
Take out of the water and let them cool. Once cool, the skins should just slide off.

When skins are off, slice, dice or whatever and freeze as is. You can take them out afterward and mix equal parts white sugar, white vinegar, and water, all boiled together. Put beets in the liquid, and you have my favourite kind of beet--don't know what its called, but its good.

You can can them too, but they taste just as good frozen, and its alot easier. and yes--beets need to come out now. have fun!

eta, if you are going to can them, the sugar vinegar water sol'n is what you ould can them in--I have done this before too, but personally, freezeing them is my preferred way

Last edited:
heres how I can mine:
I pressure cook them long enough for skins to come off and them cool them in cold water
cut in size of chunks you prefer and put in mason jars
cover with syrup and seal jars
Syrup:
8 cups sugar
4 cups vingar
2 1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup beet juice from cooking them
1 tbsp. salt
4 cinnamon sticks
2 tbsp. celery seed
bring to boil enough to cover around 16 pints

Back