Red Broiler Chicks for Meat?

Does anyone know what breeds the freedom Rangers (or the red Rangers) came from? I have spent hours on the computer trying to find this info with no luck. I would just like to know where to start to breed something similar of my own at home. I know you can't just breed red rangers to each other and get the same, can you? I really like the look of the dark cornish (Indian game) but I am concerned with their reproduction ability (I've read they have trouble breeding because of their build) Maybe cross the dark Cornish with something? Still can the rooster reproduce well enough (and then I have to figure out where to get them-I've read hatcheries are not the best place) any breeders near Greenville, SC???
The reason you cannot find this information is because it is heavily guarded by the companies that breed them. They dont want just anyone to be able to breed them. People give hatcheries a bad rap, however they aren't always as bad as they make them out to be. Know your source, do some research. McMurray is a great Hatchery, we have always had great luck with them, thats where I got my red rangers.

The reason you cannot find this information is because it is heavily guarded by the companies that breed them. They dont want just anyone to be able to breed them. People give hatcheries a bad rap, however they aren't always as bad as they make them out to be. Know your source, do some research. McMurray is a great Hatchery, we have always had great luck with them, thats where I got my red rangers. 
I want a sustainable breed tho. I don't want to have to order chicks every year. I want to be able to breed them at home.

IMO, if you hold over a few of your Rangers or Pioneers, and breed them back to each other, you've got nothing to loose in trying to develop your own line of meaties. Sure, these birds are hybrids. But, the gene pool is there for a nice meaty bird. So, I'd start there. In fact, I already have, by holding back one of my Pioneer pullets. She was the smallest of the 9 I raised, which from a breeding stand point, that was a really stupid decision on my part. On the other hand, she's a nice gal, bigger than the rest of my hens, and she's a very good layer. I hope she'll bring some size into my flock.

I would try developing your own line as well, with a little work you could design birds with excellent meat production and other desirable traits. I would recommend using dark cornish, plymouth rocks, buckeyes, or other fast growing large fowl. Maybe throw in a few commercially bred birds in your lines to improve size. You wont get exactly red rangers, and red rangers dont breed true. breeding commercial hybrids together will give you a wide variation of sizes and growth rates.

I would try developing your own line as well, with a little work you could design birds with excellent meat production and other desirable traits. I would recommend using dark cornish, plymouth rocks, buckeyes, or other fast growing large fowl. Maybe throw in a few commercially bred birds in your lines to improve size. You wont get exactly red rangers, and red rangers dont breed true. breeding commercial hybrids together will give you a wide variation of sizes and growth rates. 
I have been trying to find dark Cornish. They are what I really want (I would cross them with Plymouth rocks or delawares) but I wanted to get a good quality line not the production line from the hatcheries. Because they are a heritage breed, I wanted good quality (show) birds so I could stay within breed standards. Meat production is not my only concern and I don't mind slow growers. Thank you for your help :) if you know where I could get good quality dark Cornish, let me know!

Last edited:
Quality birds are a pain to come by! I'm in Maine and the breeds I raise often have to be shipped half way across the country when I need new blood! However its worth it when you find the perfect breeds for your operations. I like black cayuga ducks for example. They arent complete feed hogs, calmer than most duck breeds, great foragers, lay decently, and they taste amazing! I am one of only a small handful of breeders in the area, many of which are slowly becoming related to one another, or their birds arent up to par with what im looking for.

Back
Top Bottom