Red Broilers

Blooms&Brood

Songster
Dec 30, 2017
KC Area
Two hatcheries are listing Red Broilers (new for 2018) with the same stock photo, Hoover’s and Duncan’s. I called Hoover’s customer service and the gal said the Red Broiler was from Hubbard breeding stock and if I heard her correctly, crossed with a Cornish. The description states the down/pin feathers are white but the body colors is red. Has one ordered Red Broiler chicks from either hatchery? I’m interested in photos and any tidbits about your experience with this hybrid before I invest in an order. Thanks!

I've not heard of them before...I'm wondering if they are too new, meaning maybe no one has full grown ones yet?
:confused:

Did they cross a RIR with a Cornish? I wonder if they’d have the same issues as regular Cornish x’s?

I am going to call Duncan’s and talk with them. Call Hoover’s back and ask for pictures. Maybe even do a trial group for the board?

Hoovers pic:
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.49.58 PM.png

Well a little update on this thread. The red broilers do seem to forage more than previous batches of CornishX. :) A hawk killed one of each at 4.5 weeks and the red broiler dressed out at 1# and the Cornish cross at 2# :(:) It may have been that I had them on grass at 2 weeks old and they both may have "learned" to forage better- I don't know. :rolleyes: The Cornish do tend to sit by the feeders more than the red Broilers. Over all thus far I am slightly disappointed in the Red Broilers because of slower growth:(- which is why I got them in the first place-, also on that same note they did cost $1 each more:( over all I think I may be sticking with the CornishX from Hoovers in the future. Right now it looks like I may need 2-3 weeks more to get a nice sized Red Broiler which will put me up against fall cold weather- I hate getting cold:hit

Butchering some tomorrow at 7 weeks looks like the Cornish x will go 5-6 pounds dressed but the red broilers wont even go 3 pounds maybe a touch over. Well I have feed for another 3 weeks see if that will let them catch up

Back
Top Bottom