Red bubbly eyes, lethargic.

Banana01

Songster
Feb 18, 2021
San Martin, Peru
This is a stray that joined my flock recently. I am trying to figure out what he has definitively, since others in my flock also have had this in the past. The others that have had it before have no more symptoms, so it is possibly viral and dormant.

I would guess it may be coryza, but there isn't any smell or excess mucous. But in the mornings after sleeping all night, his eyes are sealed shut with dried mucous and i have to soak her face to get her eyes open. So does anyone know what this is or might be?

There are several others in my flock showing similar symptoms, but they even have feather loss and some of them smell like coryza. So it may be multiple illnesses, but this one only has symptoms with the eyes being red and stuck back in her head. Thanks for any input!

Screenshot_20211113-172018_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211113-172030_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211113-172043_Gallery.jpg

I was going to say it is mycoplasma for sure, based on the other chickens in my flock that have had it. I guess i should have read the other threads first. I can give him tylosin. I dont think he will die because he eats before bedtime and sleeps early.

But pinkeye is also something i will look into treating. Both his eyes are the same though, does pinkeye effect both eyes or one eye?

I was going to say it is mycoplasma for sure, based on the other chickens in my flock that have had it. I guess i should have read the other threads first. I can give him tylosin. I dont think he will die because he eats before bedtime and sleeps early.

But pinkeye is also something i will look into treating. Both his eyes are the same though, does pinkeye effect both eyes or one eye?
Yes, pink eye can effect both eyes. I believe it's caused by the Staphylococcus bacteria, if I remember correctly.

Yes, pink eye can effect both eyes. I believe it's caused by the Staphylococcus bacteria, if I remember correctly.
Nope, conjunctivitis in chickens is most likely caused by mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Bubbles or foam as well as the pink mucous membranes is a sign. The eye discharge becomes sticky and the eyelids may be crusty and stuck together. In Peru, can you get an eyedrop or antibiotic eye ointment? Ciprofloxacin, neosporin, teramycin, or chloramphenicol are all okay. A warm soak over the eye, or warm saline can melt the crust and help to clean out the eye. Tylosin for 3-5 days can treat it orally.

Editing this post, since pinkeye can be caused by a number of different bacteria, herpes and other viruses, and fungus. The most common bacteria are mycoplasma, E.coli, staphylococcus, and chlamydia.

Last edited:
Nope, conjunctivitis in chickens is most likely caused by mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Bubbles or foam as well as the pink mucous membranes is a sign. The eye discharge becomes sticky and the eyelids may be crusty and stuck together. In Peru, can you get an eyedrop or antibiotic eye ointment? Ciprofloxacin, neosporin, teramycin, or chloramphenicol are all okay. A warm soak over the eye, or warm saline can melt the crust and help to clean out the eye. Tylosin for 3-5 days can treat it orally.
Not all cases are caused by MG. A staph, infection in the eyes can happen if the bacteria if on the birds feet, & the bird itches it's eyes.

Keeping it as a possibility.

Yes, you can get infections in the eyes from dirt and debris or pecking, but most times those are going to be gram negative E.coli or other fecal bacteria. Staph would be possible, but the treatment for mycoplasma would treat staph as well.
Not all cases are caused by MG. A staph, infection in the eyes can happen if the bacteria if on the birds feet, & the bird itches it's eyes.

Keeping it as a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom