Red bulbous abdomen

gotta_start_somewhere

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2023
Southern California
1 year old hen. Any ideas what this could be?
It’s been going on for a long time. I don’t believe she is egg bound. Lots of feather loss. Photo taken in the middle of giving her a bath so she is all wet
274AC28D-BC77-435D-AAC0-883D6036FC31.jpeg

It is called ascites, or water-belly. Basically fluid in the abdomen. Sometimes it can be caused by reproductive issues or cancer. Do you have an avian vet that could advise you on it?

Several possibilities are ascites (water belly,) internal laying masses (salpingitis,) or a hernia. Is her belly soft or hard, or seem full of fluid? You could rule out ascites if you insert a needle into her abdomen to see if yellow fluid comes out. Take care that her bedding is clean and dry, and check her often for droppings stuck to her. Flystrike where flies lay eggs on poop and on the ground can be deadly to hens with large bellies. Just yesterday someone posted a picture of flystrike on their hen’s lower belly. Is she able to roost off the floor at night? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Several possibilities are ascites (water belly,) internal laying masses (salpingitis,) or a hernia. Is her belly soft or hard, or seem full of fluid? You could rule out ascites if you insert a needle into her abdomen to see if yellow fluid comes out. Take care that her bedding is clean and dry, and check her often for droppings stuck to her. Flystrike where flies lay eggs on poop and on the ground can be deadly to hens with large bellies. Just yesterday someone posted a picture of flystrike on their hen’s lower belly. Is she able to roost off the floor at night? Is her crop emptying overnight? Is she eating and drinking normally?
Thank you for your response.

Her belly is very soft. It does seem like it is full of water, but maybe it could be air too?
I often find her poop stuck in her feathers near her vent. She does not keep herself clean like the other hens do (I gave her another bath today, so she is all clean tonight). Yes she roosts off the floor at night.
Her crop feels odd. It feels kind of like her belly, not like the crop on my other chickens. It is very soft and bulbous. I have not yet felt her crop first thing in the morning. She seems to eat well. She vigorously ate the treats she got during her bath - no surprises there. I presume she is drinking normally, she has clean water available throughout the day.

I haven't checked her abdomen with a needle. That is definitely something I'll have to build up the courage to do. Do the symptoms I described clarify anything?

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge and experience

Attachments

• 2023-07-08_16-39-36_035.jpeg
    2023-07-08_16-39-36_035.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Would you describe her crop to be similar to a water balloon that has some air, water, and maybe even some solids in it?

With my hens that have water-belly, I usually leave them with the flock as long as they are happy since it is not contagious or treatable. Once it is clear that they are too weak to do normal things I will cull them. You can do that yourself (and folks on here can teach you how if you have never done it) or most vets will do it for a small fee. I even have a neighbor who is willing to do it for folks since he is so used to it, but that might be a Vermont thing.

Would you describe her crop to be similar to a water balloon that has some air, water, and maybe even some solids in it?

With my hens that have water-belly, I usually leave them with the flock as long as they are happy since it is not contagious or treatable. Once it is clear that they are too weak to do normal things I will cull them. You can do that yourself (and folks on here can teach you how if you have never done it) or most vets will do it for a small fee. I even have a neighbor who is willing to do it for folks since he is so used to it, but that might be a Vermont thing.
Yes, I would describe her crop to be like a balloon.

When hens get water belly or other reproductive issues that cause an enlarged abdomen, they may have problem with the crop slowing down or not emptying. So sour crop may eventually occur. Crops may feel soft and puffy, and may cause a sour or bad odor from the beak if the crop is pressed on. You can try treating her crop problem with this article by azygous:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Many times hens will need to eventually be put down to prevent suffering or they will go on their own. Just make sure others do not peck her which can be common near the end. A home necropsy or one by your state vet can tell you what exactly was going on. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Back
Top Bottom