Red clay poop

ChristyBRogers

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
Any idea what causes poop to look like red clay? Otherwise healthy poo other than the disturbing color. Wondering if I should be concerned. All my hens are acting healthy but I know they can camouflage a lot of illness.

Attachments

• 5D74494A-86DB-4C1C-BCAA-23BB928157B6.jpeg
    5D74494A-86DB-4C1C-BCAA-23BB928157B6.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • E33B5947-397B-4C4C-B775-CC281EF59C62.jpeg
    E33B5947-397B-4C4C-B775-CC281EF59C62.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
It's very likely something they are finding somewhere to eat. I bought a different brand of scratch recently, it had protein pellets in it that are that color, started seeing droppings that look exactly like that. Stopped the scratch, the droppings returned to normal color.

It's very likely something they are finding somewhere to eat. I bought a different brand of scratch recently, it had protein pellets in it that are that color, started seeing droppings that look exactly like that. Stopped the scratch, the droppings returned to normal color.
I did change the scratch! Maybe that’s it. I don’t mind the color if it’s not a bad sign

Any idea what causes poop to look like red clay? Otherwise healthy poo other than the disturbing color. Wondering if I should be concerned. All my hens are acting healthy but I know they can camouflage a lot of illness.
I have this too with at least one bird. Been going on for a while (month maybe) and I haven't changed anything. I have a lot of clay soil and my girls do like to peck at the dirt a lot. They have plenty of free choice food and they get to forage but I think one might love the taste of clay soil because she's the only one with clay red colored poop. I have noticed a spot that gets dug up when it rains and beneath the black soil I can see the clay, so I think she's eating it.

Does your girls poop still look the same? Any health issues? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom