Red Comb and Wattles Developed Suddenly; Then Diminished; Chick Not Well

Cerise1924

Crowing
Aug 22, 2016
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Hello! When my 2 week old Sebright suddenly had a big reddish comb and wattles, I posted pics and the general response was that this was possibly a cockerel developing early. However, it seemed very sudden and abnormally early.

At three weeks old, the red comb and wattles have receded and paled dramatically. However, the chick is now sedentary and seems lethargic. It will eat and drink, but lies there panting while the other chicks are running around. The legs and feet seem puffy, now, as the comb and wattles did, earlier. The chick can run, but doesn't want to.

What could cause the swelling of the comb and wattles for a week in a young chick, and then the return to normal? Could this possibly be contagious? I thought of separating the chick, but it seems to be very comforted by the presence of flock mates. The only time it will get up and run is to be near the other chicks. Once it is with the group, it settles down and rests.

I am concerned that there is something quite wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. Thoughts?

Pic 1, Pearl at 1 week old. Normal and healthy, for all appearances.
IMG_6468.JPG

Pic 2, Pearl (on the right) at 2 weeks old, with the red and swollen comb and wattles.
IMG_E6607.JPG

Pic 3, Pearl at almost 3 weeks. Wattles and comb have returned to normal, but chick doesn't seem right.
IMG_6783.JPG

That large bump on the head in the last picture isn’t normal.
Hopefully some of the experts will chime in soon.
Thank you, yes, you are so right.
The redness has gone down, but the comb area is still more puffy than that of the other Sebrights. I hope I do get some input from someone familiar with these symptoms.

Well, I put the little chick in a sterilized brooder, with one other chick for company. I felt that being alone would create too much stress, which is not good for healing. I gave the chick vitamins in the water, and gently put coconut oil and turmeric on its legs and feet, which may help with discomfort or aid healing.

This was the smallest chick of eight. It may have some inherited problem, or may have a poor immune system, could have contracted some kind of infection, or all of the above.

We are having a heatwave, and the 3 week chicks have all moved to an outside coop and run. I'll let this one join them again when it seems stronger. I would still be glad to hear from anyone who may know what the inflated comb/wattles indicates.

Sadly, the chick died suddenly this morning.
That's too bad but chicks die and good on you for recognizing there was a problem.
If you are so inclined, you may want to send the chick to an Oregon poultry diagnostic lab for necropsy so you know exactly what killed it.

Oregon State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory

Magruder Hall 134

700 SW 30th St

Corvallis, Oregon 97331-8628

Phone: 541-737-3261

That's too bad but chicks die and good on you for recognizing there was a problem.
If you are so inclined, you may want to send the chick to an Oregon poultry diagnostic lab for necropsy so you know exactly what killed it.

Oregon State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory

Magruder Hall 134

700 SW 30th St

Corvallis, Oregon 97331-8628

Phone: 541-737-3261
Wow! Thank you. I did not know that service was available. When you say 'send,' I am guessing you mean walk it in, in person. Or is there a protocol for sending dead poultry in the mail? It sounds like a health hazard, unless there is some kind of sterile containment that I don't know of. Thanks again for the info.

Back
Top Bottom