Red eyed chick(s)

ninja

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
Valley Center, Ca
I picked up 2 Salmon Faverolle chicks last Satursday. They are almost 4 weeks old.

When I got home, I put them outside in the temp enclosure for them to start adapting to the life here... It is So Cali, nice weather for them to be in... When I went to check on them a few hours later, one was falling over and generally doing poor. I thought maybe it crushed itself going between the privacy box and mesh... I took them inside and put a 50w heat lamp on because it seemed cold. The next morning it was more alert but generally weak. Kept inside, turned off the lamp as it seemed ok. Bird was better by day 2 and back outside.

I really enjoyed how affectionate this breed is, so I went and got 2 more. The feed store did not have any of this breed on display, either time. I didnt think anything of it (but I am wondering now why all the other birds were out but not these ones). Got home, put the new ones outside in the temp enclosure. Went to bring them in a few hours later, and noticed the new one has a pink eye. It was closing it a lot. The other eyes is also a little irritated. I isolated it immediately and started on oral antibiotics.

It is doing much better after 48 hours. However, the first chick that wasnt well is now showing pink eye....... There is no smell. They are otherwise fine.... eating, drinking, kicking shavings alllllllll over the place.

My question is do I need to do anything more? Should I be worried about any of those diseases that would require me to cull my flock? Any guess as to what this is? Sorry for long thread. I just really love my birds and want to make sure I avoid any issues...

Sorry the photo is not super clear :/ The eyelid looks wonky to me.

Here are the 2 with wonky eyes... I am seeing a puffiness on the front of the eye where the tear duct would be?

Thank you in advance for any input.... even if it is to say I am paranoid and to go about my business :) I love my birds so much.

Edit: I did look at the birds, did not see any injury to the eyes.. Also need to get a saline or something to rinse it out. I think the drops I have hurt, so I only did it once. She was screaming so badly after.

Last edited:
One of my chicks had this problem, except its eye was swollen shut!!! I would also like to know what the problem is (also to prevent it if it happens again!)!!!

Yeah, it was a lot more swollen shut the first day I noticed it... They seem to be feeling totally fine tonight. Still red eyes but it looks like it is getting better. If it was one chick I would think it was just some injury. But since 2 of them have it, I dont know. I wonder if they get something like pink eye.

Did it get better? What did you do?

I haven't had to do this for my flock but have read quite a bit and the suggestion seems to usually be some Terramycin eye ointment you can usually find it at the feed store. Same stuff used on dog's and cat's eyes as well. A tiny bit goes a long way and of course don't use the same finger after touching the eye to get more. Wash your hands a ton. You don't want to potentially make one worse or give it to yourself if it is an infection. Keep an eye on them and finish the course of oral antibiotics. Hth

We have the same problem it does not smell,her voice is not shaking and she will eat, drink, dig, etc. we had it for 2 weeks and she is one of our favorite.any ideas?this has been going on for about 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom