Red foot scales? What is it?

Vthomzik

Hatching
Jan 1, 2024
Hello,
I have a couple birds whose leg and Feet scales are starting to turn red. The roosters feathers above his legs look to be red an and inflamed as well.
I looked around the vent for sign of mites and did not see any. I treated with ivermectin and have just given the second dose 10 days later. Am I on the right track? I haven’t seen much improvement.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2853.jpeg
    IMG_2853.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2851.jpeg
    IMG_2851.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    629.8 KB · Views: 16
:welcome Not certain what is going on with the hen's legs - perhaps a bacterial infection of some sort. The reddening in the rooster's leg is most likely hormonal in nature and not a cause for concern.

Hello,
I have a couple birds whose leg and Feet scales are starting to turn red. The roosters feathers above his legs look to be red an and inflamed as well.
I looked around the vent for sign of mites and did not see any. I treated with ivermectin and have just given the second dose 10 days later. Am I on the right track? I haven’t seen much improvement.

Thanks
The red in the feet and legs is completely normal. I’ve been told the red on roosters legs signifies his hormones are active, all roosters have it. And (assuming it’s cold where you live) would explain the color of the chicken feet, almost all chickens feet get red feet when it’s cold. Now can’t tell what is from the picture but that might be something to look into

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 11
Inspect your rooster's back toe digit next to his claw, from the picture it looks like there might be a puncture mark.

I've used ag lime in there run when I had one before, to help deter feet problems.
Thank you!! I will get some lime and catch him to see his foot pads better. I was really only looking at the scales before!

Back
Top Bottom