Red gel-like things in poop

I have an old hen that had the exact same chunks of blood/meat in the poop. Looked just like your pictures, almost like chunks of tomato or something similar. At the same time she was passing pus like balloon looking things which I was sure was coming from her oviduct. I got her on Corid in the water and at the same time oral amoxicillin and in 7 days she was healed up. I believe she was suffering from both Cocci and an oviduct infection.

Definitely get your hen on Corid in the water and any of the "cillins" are great for internal tissue infections. So either some injectable PenG or oral Amoxicillin will no doubt help her greatly.

I hope she makes a full recovery!

Heard back from casportpony that when she does give Corid via needleless syringe into the mouth, she does it for 1-3 days. She verified the dose for my chicken to be .32 ml each dose by mouth. I just finished giving her her third day of Corid this way, and will continue to have it in her water at a rate of 1/2 tsp per quart of water. All this is with the Corid liquid 9.6%. I haven't seen any big globs of blood in the last couple days, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I wouldn't say the hen is that peppy, but doesn't look any worse and is still eating feather fixer and drinking sips of water.

Hope she recovers!!!
smile.png

Update: Good news. After the round of Corid (in water for 7 days and by mouth for first 3 days-see previous posts for specific dosages), she seems to be fully recovered. I have seen no more blood in her poop with some pretty careful checking the first week or so after the Corid. She's been back outside since 12/26 and seems her old self. It's such a nice sight to go out to the run and see perfectly formed chicken poop instead of blood specked loose ones. (Clearly I need to get a life!) Now we just have to wait until the beginning of March for her to remember she owes us some eggs!!! Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. Appreciate it.

Update: Good news. After the round of Corid (in water for 7 days and by mouth for first 3 days-see previous posts for specific dosages), she seems to be fully recovered. I have seen no more blood in her poop with some pretty careful checking the first week or so after the Corid. She's been back outside since 12/26 and seems her old self. It's such a nice sight to go out to the run and see perfectly formed chicken poop instead of blood specked loose ones. (Clearly I need to get a life!) Now we just have to wait until the beginning of March for her to remember she owes us some eggs!!! Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help. Appreciate it.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom