Red Golden Pheasant Sexes

With lady amherst I have been able to sex them this way from day old onwards. So assuming it's the same for Golden's.

At what age is the eye color apparent (before feathering)?
I'm curious about this, too. I checked my red gold pheasant chicks (just over five weeks old) last night and all seemed to have the same color iris - more of a green than cream or brown. The only difference I could see was that one of the five chicks had quite a bit of distinct barring on its tail feathers. Is this useful in determining sex at this age or just typical plumage variation?

All my six have the same colored iris (that green-gold you mentioned) but two are significantly larger than the other 4, which USUALLY is a good indication of gender in turkeys and chickens...so am hoping that's the case. Great ratio! 2:4! :)

I don't have much faith in the iris color anymore as I have looked many times at young goldens and it never seems to work.With amhesrt it does work,but I don't think it holds true for goldens.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'm glad you said this about the eyees because the Red Goldens that I have all have the same eye coloring and they are now most definitely two males and a female :/ so now I am looking to rehome tow males...

As an aside to tell the amherst and golden birds apart amhersts have blue legs, a more reddish forehead, barring on the tail, and do not have a yellow beak or forehead like the golden birds. Just putting this out on this thread since we are talking about the two species and there are alot of hybrids out there to watch for.

As an aside to tell the amherst and golden birds apart amhersts have blue legs, a more reddish forehead, barring on the tail, and do not have a yellow beak or forehead like the golden birds. Just putting this out on this thread since we are talking about the two species and there are alot of hybrids out there to watch for.
I've seen Amherst x Golden crosses that had dark olive colored legs with blotches of yellow, although, usually they will have blue/grey colored legs. They also have a cream/white-ish colored iris in the males, same as with a pure Amherst male. When in doubt, just skip it, unless you just want a Amherst x Golden. This has been my observations, yours may differ, there's too many variables with crosses.

I had my first non-ringnecks sold to me as "red goldens" turns out they were half and halfs. They are gone now but another thing to watch out for is if someone sells you a "rainbow pheasant" as it's just a polished sales gimmick for a hybrid bird.

I had my first non-ringnecks sold to me as "red goldens" turns out they were half and halfs. They are gone now but another thing to watch out for is if someone sells you a "rainbow pheasant" as it's just a polished sales gimmick for a hybrid bird.
Yeah, I miss the old days when Red Goldens where just called Goldens. Yellow Goldens where called "Lemon pheasants". Peach, Cinnimon, Silver, Salmon, Tangerine, Mahogany and Splashes weren't yet even thought about in the pheasant fancier world. Probably call them "Rainbow", because they get a pot of gold from an unsuspecting buyer! LOL

I think the rainbow pheasant is a gay pheasant and since i say that, i have a transgender hen silver pheasant that
i think is turning male { explains why she did not lay an egg this year }
She is starting to get the feathers of a young male

Steve

Back
Top Bottom