red jungle fowl....

ah
Ok...yep I was wondering about that, mine always did just fine. difference is here we never had a snow issue so that may well be different. Good to know on temps too. Same deal 10 or so is about as cold as we ever get and they never had issues

Quote:
I do not know which populations most red jungle fowl in U.S. are derived from but that may influence cold tolerance and other aspects relavent to upkeep here. Most consider red jungle fowl to be a tropical / tropical species but some populations in foot hills of Himalayan mountains must have been selected for survival under temperate winter conditions.

very true. If I were looking for some and knew I had cold winters. My first goal would be to find a breeder in a similar climate. That way you know his line is acclimated to the same weather you will be having.

Nam
I heard they have the best chance for survival on their own! Your right I have issue with the wild life coyotes have already thin my Piken ducks out but the remainders have learn how to survive.
OnlyMe
I’m very close about 30 miles southwest close to Uniontown/ Connellsville area.
NewTo
I’m new as well a few years now and really liking it. I found that thread after I posted this… this site is a goldmine of info but really difficult to locate answers.

You know guys I my try! A guy on the other site said he lived in Michigan we are not that bad. He said that the Reds would not survive but the Greys would so long as they have a simple shelter and are in wooded areas. NewTo these birds fly really well like wild turkeys and are the original chicken. I figure I will get some 1st of Summer to give them a chance with good weather.

it's funny to read all these threads and responses. everyone has their own way to raise jungle fowls. i'm sure all the jungle fowls love the warm weather than being in the cold. they only reason why they survive in colder climate is because they are adapting to climates where they are being raised or live. I've seen the so called jungle fowls in Hawaii nothing but a bunch of mixed breeds and since Hawaii is a jungle locals just call them that. everyone has their claim on what's a jungle fowl. i'm not sure if anyone has ever noticed but most breeders are from like California, Florida, Texas, etc etc. i'm not here to bash on anyone but here to put in my view and opinions. I've raised red's for almost 3 decades, certain ones like the Richardson, and Michaels line you have to quarantine them once you get them you can't just drop them on the ground once you get them. if you do drop them on the ground once you receive them, give them a week to a month and you'll be ordering or just giving up right away. during the 90's smuggling eggs for the laos red jungle fowl was something that happened for a while with the Asian people. they would go to asia and bring back eggs since it's not as strict as it is now. yes I am one of those that have inter breed the Richardson and Michaels strain of red jungle fowls with the laos/Thailand reds. they do fine. I've had greys too nice color but something that I wouldn't raise no more. yes I am one of those breeders that breed the grey hen to the red jungle roo. they turned out awesome but they still didn't peek my interest much but plan to do so again.

I have pure red junglefowl caught in the jungle in cambodia where i live. The female died and the male fly away but I suceed to keep their eggs and hatch them. I got 6 female and 1 male and let them free range with other fighting chicken, ducks, peacock and dove. They are all in good health and only 1 died and I have many many chicks now some pure and some mix with fighting chicken.
If someone is interrested to get some pire cambodian res junglefowl email me at [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom