Red Mite! Should I use Ivomec or Panacur directly onto chickens?

V Chic Chick

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bristol, England
I haven't been on BYC for a while (stress of school, I am currently in the middle of sitting 10 GCSE exams . . . having 5 is broadly equivalent to a High School Diploma I believe . . . STRESS!

Anyway. I went to clean out the chickens and what should I find but they've gone and got red mite at this most inopportune moment. They hadn't shown any signs of not wanting to go inside at night or anything, so it was only when I squished some with my thumb that I noticed. I have some Duramitex (issued by the vet in 2005 for emergencies such as these) for treating the coop, but it says that it is not for applying directly onto the skin. I will be scrubbing down the coop with the stuff asap.

I also have three different bottles issued by the vet - not that I can remember what to do with them. I'm also worried that they are out of date and therefore dangerous / unsuitable.
1. Panacur 2.5% suspension, 5ml / bird, issued 11/02/2005, no use by date
2. As above, issued 16/05/2006
3. (from label as I don't quite understand it) 50.00 x Ivomec/Prop Glycol 50:1
5ml/bird repeat in 10 days.

Both of the Panacur bottles have separated out into a white sludge and a clear liquid, although it looks fine when shaken.

What to do? Help please BYCers!

It appears that Ivomec is the same as Ivermectin (just different brand names)

Could someone give me the dosage for a bantam for Ivomec? We were told the dosage when we only had standard birds, so I would presume that that would be too much for a bantam.

.5 cc (ml) per 11 pound bird - Large Fowl

.25 cc (ml) per 5.5 lb bird - Bantam

Found this on a website for ya. Just google "how much ivomec for bantam?"

Back
Top Bottom