Red ranger

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
I got my red ranger meat chickens by accident in a batch of golden Comets from tractor supply, a little over a year ago. My big rooster is over a year old now and I can already tell that his walking and running has been different. And the joints of his legs are more red now. His legs and feet are bigger than any other roosters. My question is, how long is their life expectancy? Is it cruel to let him live over a year old?? I'm sure his body is taking a beating being so big. I just felt like he had so much life to live and he's been a great protector for my flocks. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230428_195736.jpg
    20230428_195736.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 41
I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve heard that redness in the feet/legs could be an increase of hormones in roosters. I noticed this in my Rhode Island rooster at 6 months.

I also think the huge feet is a good thing. More support for all the weight.

Handsome boy. Do you have any other pics of him and his legs? He doesn't look like a typical Red Ranger, nor does he look excessively large compared to the hens he's roosting with. As long as he's getting around good I can't see why it would be cruel to keep him.

Handsome boy. Do you have any other pics of him and his legs? He doesn't look like a typical Red Ranger, nor does he look excessively large compared to the hens he's roosting with. As long as he's getting around good I can't see why it would be cruel to keep him.
Yes! I will get a good body pic of him. He's definitely a heavy guy 😂. I know the red on the legs is normal in roos. But they are almost grayish and red sometimes. I didn't know if the circulation to his feet wasn't good or something. I worry about him alot lol. Maybe he's a red ranger cross?? I just know he always grew twice as fast as a chick when I got him and that's what I was told he was after the fact. 😊 he's still a fast guy, but he almost hobbles around a little bit now.

Attachments

• 20230429_123006.jpg
    20230429_123006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20230429_123011.jpg
    20230429_123011.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 17
He's beautiful!

I can't give you a lot of specific advice, but I would say that if at any point he does seem like he's developing lameness or is in pain, you should make him a chicken dinner. It's best to be prepared (mentally and physically) for this beforehand, because it's inevitable if he really is a meatbird. But before that, I would make sure the leg issues aren't something else. And also, if he's hogging the feeder, you might want to look into restricting feed. There are some articles on it here on BYC.

I personally am usually of the mindset that it's a bit cruel to keep meatbirds long after butchering age, but this is a Ranger (I think?) and not a Cornish X. If he's not suffering, I think it's alright. I would just be ready to do the deed if you think he is suffering.

Sorry TSC screwed up!

He does look a lot bigger there! I would say he's either a light colored Red Ranger or one of the New Hampshire broilers.

I've kept quite a few colored broilers for a couple of years without any serious issues. Many of them would have likely lived much longer if it hadn't become necessary to eliminate them from the breeding program due poor laying or infertility.

The boys don't really get fat (it's mostly muscle) so there's not much you can do about his size. They also tend to have pretty gnarly looking legs and feet as they mature. As long as you don't notice any swelling or limping or a lot of laying around I wouldn't worry about him. He looks quite fit and healthy for an adult broiler to me :)

Update: his feet and legs look like they got bigger, and he's starting to lose some spots in his feathers and those spots are turning bright red. Is this normal in meat birds?

Back
Top Bottom