Red Sex link or production red?

rdmom

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2016
North Texas
Hello! Was sold 2 Red sex links by Ideal poultry here in Texas by special order along with a few other pullets through a local mom and pop feed shop and another member pointed out they look like production reds, NOT RSL. The more I look at them the more I think she is spot on. They are currently 6 weeks old-ish. Any corroboration? Is this common? Specifically ordered so I could be sure at least 2 were pullets and now I'm doubting the two I thought were my pullet safety net. grrr. pics below...

Sassy Pants (always been the feisty one, currently the largest, and some awfully pointy feathers in odd places...)

And then we have Penelope (slowest feathered friend in the bunch, darker red)

closeup of Penelope's comb.

Any thoughts appreciated. I did wonder where the pretty white feathers were on these babies for red sex links...

They both look like production Reds to me. You're right, the classic white tips and tail of the red sex link are missing.

That said, they both look like pullets
smile.png

Even with the weird placed pointy feathers?
Yep. These are just weird baby feathers. True "sex" feathers don't show up until about 12ish weeks or later.

These production bred birds, the males tend to mature pretty early. At this age, you'd be seeing a good amount of comb and it would be nice and red.

silver hens without dominant white will breed black tail red sex link
so why the all considered all red black. tailed are production red????

Back
Top Bottom